SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

getting a new dog after losing one

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

My parents lost two of their 4 dogs this past year. One passed away in April, the other in August. We had raised both from puppies. They were adopted together from a rescue but were not related. Since my siblings and I moved out the dogs were my parents "kids". They recently took on two other rescues in the last 2 years as well. But they are not nearly as attached to the two newer dogs as the two that passed away. About a month ago I was looking at my county's animal shelter web site and came across 4 puppies for adoption that looked like my parents' dog that had passed away in April. He was part Australian Cattle dog, part Blue heeler. The puppies appeared to be the same mixed breed and while they weren't the same color as he was, they had the same look to them. Because these puppies only had 3 days left (the dog pound in my area gives the dogs a week and that is it unless they are sponsored) I told my parents about them. We were planning to adopt them all just to save them but luckily they got adopted before their time ran out. Since then my dad has decided he wants another dog (they live on a small farm and have a lot of land and a huge fenced yard and lots of love for another dog), but the catch is he wants one that looks like the male dog that passed away in April. A neighbor's dog had puppies and my mom was going to take one of them but my dad said they would get too big (part lab) and he didn't want one. I think the real reason is they didn't remind him of Pete (dog that passed away).

Yesterday I was browsing Pet finder (I was bored and wanted to torture myself I guess (the ads make me teary eyed sometimes because there are so many animals that need homes!) and I saw a puppy (3 months old) that looks almost EXACTLY like the dog my parents lost. He is the same mixed breed, same coloring, just a different face. I emailed the pic to my dad and he immediately called the shelter, put a deposit down and tomorrow my parents are driving two hours (each way) to go pick the dog up. I applaud their decision to adopt another rescue dog and they are doing it in Pete's memory. But I am concerned that my dad wants to replace his beloved dog with a look alike and he might be disapointed. They have another part blue heeler (that does not resemble the other dog) that they adopted a year ago when Pete was still alive. She acts nothing like him and I know she wasn't adopted because they thought she would be similar to him. SHe just needed a home they took her in.

However the creepy thing is they are now browsing web sites looking for a dog that looks similiar to the other dog they lost in August. She was black and white and had a face like a shephard but a tail like a husky and she wasn't very big. my dad sent me a pic he found of a dog six hours away and told me it looks like (the other dog they lost) She does look similiar and totally diff face and not as much black. It looks like a generic version of her. I don't think they are going to drive six hours to pick up another dog but it worries me that my dad seems to want exact replicas of the dogs he lost. If you pet passed away do you seek out a new dog/cat that looks similar to the one you lost? I can see if you had a purebred they might look very similiar but these are mix breed dogs. We used to have some older neighbors that had a collie they called Queenie and when she would die, they get another collie and name her Queenie. They went through about 3 Queenies while we lived next door to them. They would never talk about the other dog dying they would act like this was the same dog. (they would adopt an adult collie each time). I'm afraid my parents are venturing into that territory. Or is it normal to want to adopt/buy another pet that reminds you of your old one?

Comments (11)