SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Dog sometimes loses balance :(

weed30 St. Louis
17 years ago

One of my dogs just turned 14. She is really in great shape despite her age. She has cataracts but can still see quite well, and is hard of hearing. Otherwise, she is peppy and does all the things she ever has, and people usually think she's about 6 years old.

Over the past 6 months or so, she has occassionally lost her balance. She'll just be standing there and almost fall over. She quickly catches herself and is just fine. Tonight I was walking both dogs, and she was fine, until we stopped at my sister's house. She was just standing there and lost her balance again, but this time it continued. She'd be fine, then stumble a little. Almost like she was drunk. I got scared and picked her up, carrying her about a block to our street, then put her down. She was absolutely fine, and walked/trotted home just like normal. They always get a treat after a walk, and she ran/hopped to the 'treat area', wagging her tail, then up on hind legs to get her treat with no problem at all.

She can still hop up on the bed easily, and regularly dances for her food as I am preparing it. First thought is inner ear problem, but she shows no pain at all. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow if I can get in, but any theories/experiences out there? I'm worried about a brain tumor :(

Comments (22)