SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Dogs Losing Their Favorite Spot - Please Help

amck2
8 years ago

With suggestions received here, I've decided to replace the loveseat in my LR with a leather chair & ottoman for DH. A new sofa is also on order.

My dogs' favorite spot has been the loveseat where they scope out all the front and side yard action - squirrels, wild turkeys, UPS carriers, etc. The leather chair, ottoman & new sofa will be off limits for them.

It sounds silly, but I really feel bad about it. They've never had actual dog beds. Our previous dog, a beagle, shed, so she had an llbean bed on the floor that had a cover I washed regularly. These guys have no shedding issues and no dog smell, so we've allowed them on furniture. They love looking out the windows from a perch.

I'm brainstorming and have thought of having DH build a removable wood base that would be slightly raised to put in front of the window and painted to match the trim so I could set two dog beds on it. How bad would that look?

Then I thought I might find an upholstered bench to place in front of the window for them. Maybe kilim covered, so it would be heavy enough but not as odd looking as a dog bed window seat..

I'm trying to be sensible. When it comes down to it, I care about my dogs more than my decor. But I also don't want a home that looks whack-a-doo ;)

Can any of you dog owners share how you have reconciled having dog furniture in your nicely appointed homes? Or sources for good dog beds that have held up well & are as good for the dogs' comfort as they are good looking? Thanks for any help.

Soon losing their favorite spot :(

Leather chair will replace loveseat & will come forward toward fireplace leaving room in front of windows for...something.

Comments (94)