SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple_gw

Planning my Kitchen Renovation - Tile layout in North Vancouver

johnfrwhipple
14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

This kitchen was built by Lauten Woodworking here in North Vancouver for a friend of a friend of mine.

We have decided to use a 4"x4" White Tile for our new Kitchen. Not many homes in North Vancouver are receiving tile as a counter top option but back in the 1930's and 1940's here in Vancouver many homes had this feature.

I build fireplaces and bathrooms every day and this renovation is for my wife, me and my kids. I have designed and redesigned the space so many times and have finally pulled the chute and order my cabinets. It helps that I'm working with Vancouver's best millworker (my opinion) and that we have so many projects completed together.

I want my tile layout perfect! I have designed the cabinets to fit full tile and plan on having vary few cut tiles. I have not built or designed a lot of backsplash features above a stove and need some help with this please.

I have designed the kitchen cabinets on the East Elevation (elevation A) to pull forward 3-4" so I don't have to have the stock fridge project so far past the counter top. This allows me to have a 28" counter and room for some kind of a niche effect if I wish.

Let me post some pictures so everyone can see what we are building her in Vancouver.

{{!gwi}}

EAST ELEVATION

You can see the arch detail above the stove. It is almost the exact same size as the photo shown. We will be adding a pot filler above the stove on the left hand side.

{{!gwi}}

SOUTH ELEVATION

Where to run the tile on this elevation is tricky. My first thought is to run the tile on the left into the casing and only one row off the counter to the right of the window. Thoughts?

{{!gwi}}

TILE LAYOUT - BIRDS EYE

The birds eye shows my layout. The backsplash tile will be the same 4"x4" but we would like some kind of arched feature above the stove.

Let's here some ideas and if possible some pictures of this kind of arched tile feature. I have spent a lot of time searching and have yet to find anything both my wife and I love.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (11)