SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

Duplex kitchen renovation - layout input requested

lovetorenovate
10 years ago

I've just purchased a duplex (two bedroom/one bath on each side). It's near a teaching hospital and my target tenants are medical residents and nurses. The place is in rough shape - so I'll be renovating the kitchen on both sides - but they do not need to be identical. I already have two sets of cabinets from the habitat restore that I'll put together (making some custom cabinets or adding Ikea boxes where I need to since they are not complete sets) - but would love some ideas on layout.

As the place is only a two bedroom, I don't need a large gourmet kitchen, second sink, or anything elaborate - but would like to build something very appealing to young professionals as my tenants (so yes, it'll have stainless steel appliances and granite - although I don't quite understand the current obsession for those things). And I'm open to adding some trendy details like stainless steel bar pulls, open shelving, grey painted cabinets, glass mosaic or subway tile back splashes, etc.

I hope the photos aren't too confusing (and sorry it's a link and not embedded). The kitchens are exact mirror images of each other - but there are only photos of one kitchen (side A). I'd prefer not to relocate plumbing (to keep the project in my budget) - but I can relocate the electric if I need to as I'm having my electrician do other work there anyway.

Any comments on the layouts? Any design suggestions? the place is brighter and sunnier than it looks - the windows are incredibly covered in grime. We are tearing up the vinyl flooring and hoping to find hardwoods underneath... we'll see.

Here is a link that might be useful: duplex kitchen renovations

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths