SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzy_gw

Wrong era kitchen in 1916 house... your input requested!

fuzzy
17 years ago

We're in love with a 1916 foursquare house. It needs some work-- paint, refinishing floors, moving w/d connections, etc. If (when) we buy it, we just can't afford to completely redo the kitchen immediately.

I'd love to hear what YOU'd do if you had limited funds and this in your house when you bought it:

Take a deep breath; steel yourself. This ain't pretty.

The photo tour:

Pic 1: Range end of the kitchen; ugly brown metal vent; TALL homemade cabinet above range; strange but huge angled upper cabinet in corner. (Range- a vintage Kenmore. Staying.)

Pic 2: Sink w/ metal cabinet beneath; the cabinet to the left of the sink is not metal, but a built-in like the cabinets above. I'd like the sink to stay as well.

Pic 3: Fridge end of kitchen; on the left, doorway to basement/bathroom; on the right, small pantry with pocket door.

Pic 4: Pantry view with strange triangularesque floor-to-ceiling homemade cabinet.

Desperately wanted upon move-in: a dishwasher. Where to put it?

We have a vintage diner table and 4 red vinyl diner chairs, so with the stove and sink, we're probably headed toward a 1940s-1950s look. But I'd like to hear if you'd head in a different direction. Thanks in advance!

Kim

Comments (17)