SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeymamaof4

Garden memories, share yours:)

monkeymamaof4
14 years ago

This is such a good subject. There are a lot of memory plants in my yard and some that are pass along plants. I have tons of lilac and Iris which always remind me of my Grandma Isla, who is gone. I went to the house where they lived before they tore it down and dug up a lot of the Iris and have moved them from house to house as we moved. Funny when we moved here I had a pickup load of plants from our old house and went back twice and got more. Good thing because the owner dug out all of my flowers and planted grass. I am glad that I saved them.

My Grandpa Deano loved tulips and so I have planted many and just planted some more from my brothers house. They have decided to tear out the gardens and I just hate letting flowers go to waste, so I dig and find places for them. Growing up the main flower my folks had was marigolds and iris so have marigolds in memory of growing up. Now my girls love to help me and I had to laugh at thinking about about stemless flowers from little helpers. It has taken me a while to get the girls to pick flowers with stems. This year they figured out how to open up the daffs before they bloomed so we already have flowers in the house. Any plant in my garden is free for the taking and the flowers are all meant to be picked.

I always plant a large veggie garden like my folks did growing up, and am trying to get some raspberry and strawberry plants going. I remember going out and eating my fill of raspberries and strawberries. Mine are far enough along that they can start eating them, but not their fill so am looking for more to add. I am one that loves plants that are pass alongs, if I see someone thinning out flowers I will stop by and ask for any extras for my garden. I have even went and helped out older gardeners clean out their beds and weed in exchange for some plants. I would say 90 percent of my plants came from others. I also love wildflowers and have been known many times to stop along the road to dig up plant starts, I even keep a trowel and bucket in the vehicle just in case.

In the summer the kids eat out of the yard all summer long. I don't spray my yard and taught them from an early age to eat dandelions;) I don't have any poisonous plants and have taught them which not to eat. I remember showing my neighbor how to eat rose blossoms. They will also eat the veggies in the garden and love to run around with stalks of rhubarb to munch on in the yard. DH says I have gone overboard with my plants but have already added some new ones this year lol. (Not that he would notice in my garden jungle)

All in all I am glad to say that I am passing on my love of gardening to my kids and hope that they will show their own kids some day.

Stacie

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES