SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Remembering Mama...share your memories

marilyn_c
11 years ago

Have spent a great deal of time today thinking about my mother, who died in 1997. Before she died, she was really difficult and since I was the one who took care of her, I received the brunt of it. It was a stressful time for me, due to other circumstances going on in my life at the time.

One of the funnier things I remember about her, and I am sure I have told this before...was when she was in a nursing home and she didn't know who I was. I went to see her almost every day, and my husband went the days I didn't make it.

Anyway, she thought I was a man that day. I had cut my hair short, but I did have on make up. The conversation went sort of like this...

Mama..."Are you married?"

Me...."Yes. I'm married to Jody."

Mama..."Does your wife work?"

Me...."Mama, I'm not a man. I'm a woman."

Mama..."I mean, does she work or does she keep house."

Me..."Mama, I'm not a man. I'm a woman. I keep house."

Mama..."I mean does she cook and keep house?"

Me..."I'm not a man. I'm a woman. I cook. I keep house."

I could see I was getting nowhere, so I pulled up my tee shirt. I wasn't wearing a bra.

She busted out in a big laugh....she said, "Well!! I've never seen that before!!! Titties on a man!!!"

Up until I was five years old, my mother was a switchboard operator. We had the switchboard in our house. In fact, the house was a "perk" that came with the job. The house had 4 rooms...kitchen, living room (where the switchboard was), a bedroom and a smaller room...almost closet sized...that was another bedroom for my sister and her two kids (one 11 mo. older than me and one 11 mo. younger than me) who lived with us. There was an outhouse out back.

I slept with my mother and father. I remember snuggling close to her on cold nights. She was 42 when I was born, and a grandmother, so she was part mother and part grandmother to me. I remember how soft her body was and how good she smelled, and how she read me a story every night.

Care to share a memory of your mother?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH