SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fripper_gw

Slipcovers - Advice needed - White or Natural?

fripper
13 years ago

My DD is a professional seamstress and will be making new custom slipcovers for the furniture in my LR. (Loveseat and 2 wingback chairs.) We're thinking either matelasse or brushed twill but not sure which would be best as my big fat cat can absolutely shred steel! I'm trying to find something his claws can't dig into so easily.

My current slipcovers are "natural" in color and I've always been happy with them (until Dudley, the cat, shredded one of the corners), but now DD suggests I go with white so as not to compete with so many other colors in the room. (The walls are currently painted a deep RL red that DH chose before we married. I find it very dark and depressing, so after 5 years of marriage, am definitely going lighter and brighter this spring!)

Anyway, for those of you who have white slipcovered furniture, do you find it easy to live with? Have you had difficulty finding coordinating fabrics? My favorite pillow is a needlepoint with ivory background and I'm so afraid it won't work with the white. Also, I guess using white would probably nix the ivory drapes I had thought about putting up. In other words, white seems more difficult to coordinate with than a neutral. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments (6)