SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Loving Oxyclean - my white linen slipcovers look new again!

juddgirl2
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Love the custom tailored linen slipcovers on my head and foot dining chairs, but with my hard-working, DIY'er DH as the primary user they get more than a bit dingy.

I've always taken them to the dry cleaner, but even with wet cleaning they haven't been able to get all the stains out. Not so noticeable to anyone else, and they still look pretty, yet slightly stained - unlike the little seat slips on my side chairs, which still look brand new. I regularly wash those, but wasn't sure if the tailored slipcovers would fare so well in the washing machine.

Decided to try washing them at home after noticing they were grubbier than usual. Very happy to say that after a day soaking in a tub full of Oxyclean and hot water (actually 2 tubs full because I had to switch out the dirty water pretty quickly - yuck!), and a gentle machine wash and tumble dry (to just barely damp), my slipcovers are bright, white, and CLEAN! Not a single stain left.

Other than one little spot on an arm that's gotten a bit threadbare and will need repair, my 6-year old slipcovers look new again! They were so sparkling clean that my oyster linen side chair slips looked a bit dull in comparison, so I soaked those overnight in Oxy to brighten them up a bit too.

Wish I had done this earlier. I could have saved so much money in drycleaning costs :) I'm also feeling even better about my plans to fill my TN farmhouse full of slipcovered furniture - love the look but also love the idea of being able to get everything so clean.

No before pics but here are a few afters:

Comments (40)