SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newjerseybt

Mixing valve: Tough problem

newjerseybt
15 years ago

Situation: Well pump, expansion tank, electric hot water, 3 toilets with 3 mixing valves.

====

Problem: Hot water at 2 bathroom sinks is not as hot as the 3rd bathroom sink at the far end of the house.

Found 3 toilets with mixing valves. Just 2 of the 3 toilet mixing valves seem to be a problem and allow too much cold water to back up into the hot water lines at the bathroom sinks. The sink in the bathroom at the far end of the house is fine as it is very hot so the mixing valve there is not causing a problem.

My solution, that I thought would work.

Installed 2 swing flap valves on the hot water side of each mixing valve with the flow arrow pointing towards each toilet. Both Check valves are installed right on the mixing valves of each toilet.

After each toilet is flushed I can feel each swing check valve get hot as hot water flows toward each toilet. This is expected. But, after each toilet stops running and the hot water at each bathroom sink is turned on I can feel cold pass on BOTH sides of the swing check valves in about five seconds. WHY???

It is like both swing checks are not even installed! This is driving me nuts! Would a spring check valve make a difference as opposed to a flap check valve?

Comments (4)