SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gallaure

Tough Shade Problem for Herbs... Suggestions?

gallaure
16 years ago

Hi!

I want to grow culinary herbs, but I'm having a bit of a shade issue that I need to work around.

I'd like to grow the standard basil, rosemary, thyme, mint, etc. I also want kaffir lime tree, bay laurel, curry tree, and lemongrass. All growing is done in containers, and you'll understand why in a moment.

I live in a guest house behind a main house, and it's basically a 20 foot by 80 foot rectangle. A concrete patio extends from my front door and a fence on all sides. Here's the problem: front door faces north. Ugh. The patio ends right where the shadow from the house ends, and that's also the end of my yard territory. Yep, you guessed it, I get to grow in complete shade.

Behind the house, which faces north gets FABULOUS sun... from about waist high and higher. The fence blocks any other light, so the ground is, you guessed it, shade. Grr.

Right now, I have a few things on the north face of the house that I'm acclimating to pots (basil, rosemary, thyme, mint. The oregano died already. The rosemary isn't growing but the thyme is doing ok. 1/2 the basil plants are fine, the other half are hurting bad. I lost the catnip to aphids.). I have a plastic table behind the house that I've stacked wine boxes on top of, and I have a few things on those (basil, lavender, mint, pineapple mint, green garlic. The lemongrass is about to move back there).

Now, maybe it's lack of light, or maybe I'm just impatient, but nothing seems to be thriving. Everything was either purchased or propagated from cuttings, except the green garlic (which is doing just fine, oddly). Pineapple mint is REALLY leggy, with lots of deadish leaves in the lower parts of the plant, but mostly green on the topmost of the stems (some brown edges to leaves). Lavender is fine. The mint is doing a very slow recovery from having been potted with the pineapple mint when I bought it.

Current preferred brand of fertilizer is small amounts of coffee grounds, still looking for greensand. Compost setup is starting now, so nothing will be ready for months. Sunny counter space outside is low, unless I want to string along 80' of tables & boxpiles along the back wall.

Top that off with me being spoiled, and I want to have fresh herbs available all winter, so some stuff has to come inside.

Soooo, suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting