SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

need some advice/ feedback re a plumbing job

Debbie Downer
16 years ago

Some things - plumbing for instance - are just outside of my area of expertise so I'm hoping yall can help me. I have some questions about the plumbing job which I had done on my house and I always like to get opinions from impartial uninvolved third parties like yourselves. Online forums are great for that sort of thing!

Its a long story, it involved redirecting some kitchen water, drains & vent lines which connect from 2nd floor apt. kitchen to 1st floor apt. kitchen and then go down into basement connecting with a bathroom down there.

First of all - are rubber (or plastic) water lines standard now? Are they as good as copper? I was expecting copper and so was surprised to see plastic. Now, are they going to sweat like copper pipes? These pipes are floppy and not rigid and in places rest against the inside of the wall. When I put the drywall up I don't want wet pipes getting the drywall or the remaining lathe wet ... been dealing with mold in other parts of the house so am slightly paranoid about creating more of it elsewhere.

Secondly, if these plastic water lines freeze up how would you thaw them? Without melting them? Actually ALL the pipes including water lines were supposed to be moved into the basement proper and OUTSIDE of the crawlspace (where they had been subject to freezing) but when I came home I found the plumber put them back in the crawlspace--he said because of the how the wall above was situated. If they aren't in the crawlspace then theyll have to come up under the 1st floor kitchen cabinet before going into the wall and up to the 2nd floor.

I think Ill ask him to do that, just to avoid the frozen pipe scenario.... but what about drain pipes? Should those be moved too? Are those subject to freezing like the water pipes? If the drain pipes went straight down I don't think I'd worry about them but they don't, they go at a very slight incline and make some weird tight bends.

Thanks in advance for any info or opinions...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH