SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watergal_gw

career advice needed asap re garden center job

watergal
15 years ago

I posted a while back about garden center career paths and earnings here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/prof/msg0209131420253.html?10

I just came from an interview with a garden center right near my home, and it looks like I've found my dream job. Part-time 20 hours a week at least 9 to 10 months a year. Getting in on the ground floor with a new garden center, to be run by an existing local company of 20+ years that already does ponds, swimming pools, natural lawn care, and a pesticide company.

Upside? Love the hours, love the people there, love the location, love the niche they are looking to fill. I'd be getting in on the ground floor of what could become a really nice business, with a lot of potential for advancement. They need people with the kind of plant knowledge I have.

Downside? These people have never done retail or a garden center before. I have a good feel for the local market and could help them out a lot, but it's scary committing myself to a new enterprise. Especially one trying to make a go of it in this economic situation. Plus it would be a pay cut, but when I factor in the 70 mile daily commute I'm making now, it comes out almost even.

Am I a moron to quit my existing part-time job, which is reasonably secure but boring and no room to move up, to go after my dreams?

Help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022