SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Career advice - updated before I even posted

robo (z6a)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I started writing a post this morning asking whether or not I should confide in my director about a job opportunity that I am considering applying for in the Spring.

The reason to tell would be because normally they wouldn't seek to backfill my mat leave of six months (they can do without me for that long), but if I'm not coming back after mat leave, they should start looking for someone ASAP.

The job opportunity is within my branch of government but at a significant raise/increase in responsibilities (from researcher/supervisor to director).

SO -- before I could press post, my executive director let the cat out of the bag, she pulled my director and I into a meeting and asked if I was interested in acting in this director position right away, like tomorrow. She knows I'm going on mat leave soon but thought it would be a good way to see if I fit the position, plus she needs someone in it right away.

Now I'm asking for a different kind of advice, or counsel I guess, which is for women who have been there/done that, what's it like jumping up to a director level?

The pros for me are serious:

- Major increase in pay

- Major increase in influence (I enjoy influencing senior policy makers)

- I like my executive director and would be working directly for her

- One of the few director positions with no employees (I'm an ok supervisor but it's not my passion)

- Less boring technical work, more networking and social change

- In my current professional stream I am almost topped out (one more grade to go).

- Upgrade from a grey cubicle to a waterfront window office (hey, I like my creature comforts!)

The cons however are also serious:

- I totally love the job security of being in a union, this position would take me out of the union.

- Directors with no direct reports are probably the most expendable people when government cuts happen, this is a recently created position (< 5 years).

- This would be a major increase in responsibility and a major decrease in direction - I'm a pretty self motivated person but I do worry about crashing and burning due to lack of deadlines/structure. It's almost self-created (creating research links between our department and the outside community).

- This job has the potential to be the "special projects" job which keeps variety up (good) but also means anything can land on your plate (sometimes not so good).

- I totally love my home division, been here ten years, and it would be a big leap of faith to leave them. They just created a new higher level position for me to try to keep me, which I accepted only about six months ago.

Comments (47)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!