SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byronmews

Non Plumbing Leaky bath issue - Need advice, please

byronmews
7 years ago

Any expert tilers or bathroom renovation experts, please help!

It's obviously a very slow leak from somewhere. The wall space from the top of the bathtub down bubbles and the sheet rock there gets damaged by water. The tracking from the shower doors have been siliconed and sealed. We have had the tiles regrouted in some areas with no success. I suspect the regrouting was not thorough. This could be in part due to the initial install of the tiles. The grout spacing is very very thin. Could enough water be leaking through cracked/missing/breaking grout to cause the bubbling on the outer wall overtime? Could the small holes that hold the bumpers to close the shower glass door be causing the water to travel down and affect that outer wall?

It has been suggested that the wall on the other side of the tiled shower wall be cut out to investigate if the board is wet (it was build with cement board). If the board is wet and presumably moldy, the home repair guy said he would regrout the whole tiled side of the wall thoroughly.

My questions:

1. Is it necessary to break the wall on the other side to investigate given the situation described?
  2. Is there a way to tell if the bathtub flange is sitting correctly with the concrete board in front without having to open the wall in the back?
  3. Should we just regrout the whole tiled back side of the shower instead of opening the wall?
  4. Is it indeed a bad tile job?
  5. If its a bad tile job, should we just retile the whole shower?
  6. Is there a better paint to use over that section of the bubbling wall to help prevent even minor water splashing to cause damage?

Note: The shower doors are always closed when using and the fan is turned on to lessen the humidity.

P.S I don't know much about house repairs so apologies in advance if I've use incorrect terminology and if my questions seem confusing.

Comments (5)