SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncnovice

Price Gouging Plumber or Was I Wrong?

ncnovice
14 years ago

I'm trying to figure out if I did the right thing or not with a plumber who just left my house. It's my first experience calling a plumber in my first house, and it wasn't pleasant.

I called this guy - let's call him "Bob" - for an estimate on replacing the nut that connects our kitchen sink to the PVC piping underneath, which kept disconnecting and causing leaks - essentially, it seemed like the threads of the nut weren't catching any longer. Over the phone, Bob estimated $145-$250 depending on how much work he'd have to do, but noted that he could come and give me a true estimate of the necessary work at no charge. I agreed to a visit for an estimate, and he came out within the hour.

Now, over the phone, Bob wasn't exactly Emily Post, but he was relatively pleasant. But when he arrived, he was terse and barged in with his assistant, saying 'where to' without even introducing himself. I stuck out my hand and did so just to slow him down. After he rushed into the kitchen he looked at the piping, and sent his assistant out to the car with instructions without even speaking to me. He then turned to me and said, without explanation, "You want me to fix it? It will run you 88 bucks." When I replied that I wanted to know what needed fixing and how it would be done, he indicated that the plastic washer needed to be removed and some sealant applied to prevent leaking (though the washer had been there for years before with no problems) and tossed said seal in my trash.

After some back and forth about the whether anything else needed to be replaced under the sink, I explained that I had called another company already for a second estimate (which was true) and that I'd call him if I decided to move forward. At which point he pulled the washer out of my trash, placed it back in the PVC and grumbled out of the house.

He was clearly unhappy at having come to my home and leave without an easy job and quick payment, but given that he clearly stated he'd give a free estimate, I feel like he was trying to railroad me. Likewise, I told him exactly what was going on over the phone, and his rushed and dismissive manner when he was here made me feel like he knew all along what the problem was, and really could have been more honest with me when I called. Is it just me, or does $88 bucks to toss a washer and tighten a nut seem crazy? Or am I just reacting to his lack of tact and manners?

Help! I'm fighting between feeling guilty that I didn't pay the guy for what now seems like free advice, versus feeling like I was nearly railroaded by an unethical and rude plumber! What's the consensus from experienced homeowners?

Comments (15)