SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Am I a bad hostess if.....

Lisa Hayes
13 years ago

I run out of food? As I stated in an earlier post, I am having my annual Christmas Party this weekend. My problem is, it's usually a mystery how many will actually show up. Sometimes I get a few crashers. The party starts at 6 and the food is usually fine for the first go around, but by 7:30 most of the hot foods are gone. Last year I made a huge tray of brisket and that stuff dissappeared quickly.

One of the reasons I may have trouble with my meats are two nephews who are for lack of any other word--bad mannered. They will take heaping plates of wings and meat(brisket). I'm talking at least a dozen wings on a plate. This has happened for a couple of years and I never say anything, but I just steam when I see it. Their mom says nothing to them--just so rude. Should I say something?

The cheese and relish trays are fine and there's other little tidbits to snack on. So is it alright to run out of food? It just seems impossible to keep the food flowing all night. This party usually last until midnight.

Comments (50)

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

If you are worried about it, I just wouldn't put all the hot meats out right away. Only put out a little at a time, if you can. I think after two years of their rudeness, I would make a comment about leaving some for others! After that long steaming, I'm not sure I could keep my mouth shut.

Tami

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Hmmm, how old are the human disposals? If they are not too old (early teens), talk to their mother and don't be coy about it. Come right out and tell her that you are concerned about them wiping the buffet cleaner than a hoard of locusts, and will she please tell them to be careful to not take too much. If they are older, talk to them. Or just let them go thru the line first, and hold back all the good stuff until they have loaded their plates.

So put out part of the food, and then add more when they are done. Space out how you put the food on the table. But an extra bag of frozen wings from Costco would be a good idea.

I've usually done this type of event with the clear understanding that dinner will be available between 6 and 7 or so, and it's pot luck after that. Late-comers usually understand.

You aren't running an all-you can eat buffet for 6 hours, and people understand that.

• Related Discussions

The bad news is I am tearing out my garden!

Q

Comments (9)
    Alexis, Congratulations on the new house! What a great adventure you and your DH will have doing all the landscaping and garden building after you get settled into your new home, Your garden looks so lovely right now---it would break my heart to have to yank it out, but sometimes you have to make tough decisions like that. You'll have a lovely garden next year and every year thereafter. I assume you're going to disassemble all the raised beds y'all built and take them and your great soil mix with you? That will give you a great head start on the new garden. Look at it this way---the 100 degree days are arriving this week in the parts of OK that haven't already started hitting 100 degrees and once they arrive, the plants begin to struggle in the endless heat, so the garden productivity would start dropping off anyhow. That fact ought to make tearing out the garden somewhat less heartbreaking. I do hope you tear out your tomato plants last thing so that you can harvest as much as possible from them. Remember that any tomatoes that make it to the breaker stage will color up fine and taste great, so pick and save all those when it is time to take out the plants. What a wonderful adventure you two are about to embark upon. I have such fond memories of our first home and how much fun we had not only with furnishing and decorating our home, but also with landscaping it, planting fruit trees and berries, and putting in our veggie and herb gardens and flower beds. So many wonderful decisions lie ahead for y'all and I know the two of you will create an awesome landscape and garden around your home. Keep us posted on how its going. Have you broken the news to your dog that he's going to have a much larger yard? I bet he'll love it. Dawn
    ...See More

I am a horrible sister and feel soooo bad could you...

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks again everyone I just called my sister and she said Stephen had a great night sleep first night he slept all night long. And today they have the bed in the front part of the motorhome made out and he is riding comfortably!! So your thoughts and prayers are helping tons. He is breathing better she said and his color is super! Thanks so much again!! Stacy
    ...See More

Today I am a bad mom and person i have decided! sorry venting. .

Q

Comments (8)
    I can be a hot head......ok ladies, you may pick yourselves up off of the floor and stop laughing now!!!! I would have been upset too. Like you said, it is hard enough to get off of work as it is. Plus this time of year is soooooo stressful even if you just stick to the Christmas stuff let alone the rest of the crap that the world throws at you. Did any of the other parents tape the program???..... May I share my little meltdown with you??? In August I had a root canal. Now mind you I have lived with A LOT of pain in my life but this was hideous! I did not get pain meds until the day after and it was hydrocodone....which makes me sick. This was all the dentist would give me so I took them as long as my body would allow and when I started vomiting I quit taking them. For months I have suffered. Monday I went in with all of us thinking that I would have to have it redone only to find that the tooth next to it had a large crack in it and so I had a crown done. No payment plan so I end up paying $360.00 that I hadn't planned on. That ticks my off. By the time I get home and my mouth is no longer numb, I am in extreem pain. I think the nerves in my mouth are probably in shock after all of this time and they are on fire. My DH calls the dentist, dentist calls in the meds, DH picks them up and guess what????? The same damn meds that make me vomit. I decided since it is evening now that I will take one and call my doctor in the morning and get a refill of my darvocet that I have for when my sciatic nerve is at it's worst. I have been very careful not to abuse my meds. I think I've taken 6 or so in the last year. Long story short. Pharmacy calls dr.'s office to alert them that I just got a prescription for hydrocone and now I want darvocet. Dr.'s office won't give me darvocet now and dentist won't give me anything else. All of discussion taking place in front of customers at drug store. When I get home I call the dentist and the dr. and chew out the assistants. Who are speaking for their bosses. Still no meds. To bad the dentist had just sent me an survey to fill out on line. I wouldn't take calls from either office the next day and cancelled my appointment for my diabetes check for today. I'm just still pissed. I am doing Advil round the clock to kept the pain bearable. I am looking for a new dentist and I'm going to take the pills into the dr's office and give the 11 out of 12 to him and tell him that I don't appreciate being treated like an addict. I even offered to take the pills into the pharmacy and give them back so that I could get some thing that helped me. What the h3ll!!!!!! STRESSSSSSSSSSS! and then it's Christmas and my DD is still being stalked, I'm in pain, DH is sick, SD10 is a pain in the butt because she is so excited about Chrstmas and there are so many things going on at school, DS is stressing about finals but working so hard since I have had to play bad cop with him and now he is my buddy along with my little black dog. Other than that the rest of world can just suck eggs. SD30 had to have her dog put down and now I feel bad about being upset with her...found a sympathy card to send to her for her little doggie. I'm with you mom1stm2.....If I still drank I'm sure I'd feel better.
    ...See More

Who am I and am I OK?

Q

Comments (20)
    Well, I do grow Haworthias now, Imontestella- keep up, man ;-). My experimentation with gritty mixes was about 2 years ago. Too bad you weren't there as the voice of reason then, Imontestello. I had planned to try just a few plants, but others on the site didnt think caution necessary, so I jumped in with both feet. More recently, I advised someone else to experiment with just a couple of plants first, and Al jumped all over me about it- simply because I warned the person of some of the downsides of gritty mix. It's an insanely contentious subject on this forum. It is true that I'm very new to growing Haworthia- like new in the last week, but I've been growing plants for 3-1/2 decades; I read, and my thumbs are very green. I had not read that Haworthias lose their roots occasionally. Why is this? That sounds like a reaction to some environmental stressor to me. Where can I read about the phenomenon? I can imagine root loss occurring as a plant uses that stored water during a drought, but it would be evolutionary suicide to lose roots at a time when there is adequate water and the plant needs it. Renee, now that the search feature on this site is working, search the cacti and succulent forum for "failing to thrive in gritty mix" and you will find 2 pages of threads about dehydration in gritty mix and other people having problems just like yours. Here's one of my previous posts attempting to draw attention to this exact problem. Lots of helpful commentary on it. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3068289/a-warning-about-gritty-mixes?n=31
    ...See More
  • Lars
    13 years ago

I definitely recommend rationing the food to the nephews, and don't put everything out at once. I plan to do that with my nephew if I ever cook for him again. Last year he took an entire half of a turkey with him. He arrived late after everyone else had eaten, and I had only carved one breast. He took the entire other breast with him, and I had been planning to use the leftovers. Instead I had none. Oh, and my nephew is 40!!

It's okay to run out of food at a large party that lasts for a long time. You are not an all-night diner!

Lars

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

Well try and take their big appetites as a compliment! I would NOT mention anything to them or their parents. Just have plenty of food and even if all of one thing goes have a selection so that there is always something. I think beef is pretty pricey so maybe some other kind of main dish as well that won't break the bank. Maybe some kind of pasta or mac and cheese or something..then there will always be food for everyone. That's my opinion anyway.
    Joann

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Do you like these nephews.....if yes, I'd factor them in and cook extra. You can take them aside ahead of time, before the party, and say something to the effect of 'nephews, I love you, and enjoy you coming over to my home and seeing you appreciate my cooking. I need a bit of help - I am still working on my skills at figuring out how much food I need to prepare for my parties. I seem to run out of the meat items. I'd like you guys to load up - but I also want to try to figure out how much extra I need to make. Can you do me a big favor - if you take XYZ amount, will that be enough? I just want to make sure I have enough for everyone. Could you wait until 8:00 to take seconds if what you have told me isn't enough?' etc. something along those lines.

They won't get the message, nor will they truly be able tell you how much they would really eat, they are hungry teens, but you'll have an answer.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Teenage boys can consume a terrific amount of food. But they also do need to learn manners. Saying something to them or their parents would depend on the type of relationships you share.

Me, I'd probably head them off at the pass as they were mounding plates and just say, 'hey, there are other people here, guys, take a few, come back later if there is extra.' But then, that's the relationship I have with friends/family.

As for running out of food...I can't say that has ever happened to me, because I almost always make way too much and end up sending plates with people and there's always food in the fridge anyway...if things look thin, one can always toss up a pile of pasta or a big omelet or something, and around here, I'm 5 minutes from a grocery store, worse come to worse.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

No advice here, but I feel your pain. This year was the first Thankgiving in memory that anyone but my cousin's vegetarian daughter got mashed potatoes. Only because she didn't come, so she didn't have a chance to dump the whole casserole dish on her plate. Not sure what's worse, the kids who don't have manners or the parents who don't teach manners.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

I am in the camp of making more food and adding as items run low. For myself, I would be mortified if someone did not get enough to eat or I ran out. And if I knew I had two or more hearty eater, I would plan on extra food.

Then again, I have been known to tell guests to bring their plastic containers to take the leftovers home, but I try to keep some for myself too. I sure don't want to cook the day after a big shindig.

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

I love Jessy's idea. Potentially, the kids might actually learn something from you, manner-wise. :D

Lori

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

What about those crashers? Who are they? People you really want to see, or who have some reason to expect they can come? If not, can you head them off? At least the kids are invited!

• lindac
    13 years ago

If you invited your nephews for dinner, wouldn't you want to be sure to have enough for them to eat?
    Well same thing with a party buffet.....they are hungry...be sure there is enough to feed them.
    My worst nightmare is running out of food to feed people.
    Make lots!
    Linda C

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please don't think I run out of food completely--there's always some cheese, dips, salads, cold appetizers, and desserts left. There's also usually meatballs left too, it's just what I consider the "main" meaty items that go fast. Last year is was brisker and wings.

The crashers are usually friends of friends. That I get asked at the last minute if I mind, I can never say no.

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Maybe it's a sign that you need to have a bit more of the main protein items. Maybe 20% more and see what happens?

• Fori
    13 years ago

Tiny plates? I think you'll have to tell your nephews to eat some vegetables too. I'm sure they'll be okay with it. It probably just never occurred to them that they were eating all the meat!

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fori--that is the problem--that's all they eat is the meat. I think I'll take rachelellen's advice and head them off at the pass when I see those mounded plates. I think I will also set a tray aside for later in the night.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Maybe have a backup of a less expensive item, serve something like sloppy joes alongside the brisket . . . the teens may go for that.

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

love2weed, you head them off BEFORE you see the mounded plates. That's the barn door and the horses. Gotta plan ahead.

And it does count about how close you ar to them and their mother. Teaching manners is an important thing and it can take a village, as the saying goes.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

You know they'll eat a lot, so I would simply plan for extra food, I'm not sure how I would feel on having a lecture about how much food my kids take.
    It would feel unwelcoming to me.

Is your party considered a dinner buffet or a cocktail party ?

I would plan on having a second run of hot food around 9, since your party goes on till midnight.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Put me in the camp that would be hugely embarrassed if I ran out of "meat" just because I had some hungry teens at the party. I would definitely plan on making additional meat or another dish of some sort that would appeal to them. Asking them to eat veggies instead doesn't seem pratical, I've never seen teenage boys "load up" on crudites and nibbles.

If it is the expense you are concerned about, could you add a tray of baked pasta that they would like and could eat until they are full without stressing you? I think the only thing I would say is to tell them you made that because you knew they were fans of lasagna or ziti or whatever.

Alexa

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I have had this same problem with my nephew at family dinners. He loves my squash casserole, which is great, but he will literally take the entire casserole and put it on his plate - no matter how big the casserole. Rude, for sure. It drives me crazy that his mother just pretends she doesn't see it. At our last family gathering we were eating in two shifts, and my children and several other people were coming for the second shift (scheduling problems) and said nephew was on his way to cleaning out my dish. I said "hey, ___________, I'm glad you like the casserole but we need to have some left for the people coming later". It worked and he didn't seem to take offense, although I think his mother got a bit miffed. I said it nicely, and sort of jokingly, but he got the message.

I know that when my son was a teenager I made sure that he didn't overload his plate at social gatherings and it irritates me that other people don't seem to feel the need to teach this most basic of manners.

Really, if you have more than one teenaged eating machine at your gathering, I'm not sure it is possible to cook enough to let them really chow down, at least without making obscene amounts of food. My nephew will literally eat a double size casserole and be scraping the bowl for more. This would usually be enough for 10 to 12 people. Yikes.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

I had another thought...

What about talking to their parents, not to complain or anything, but to find out what else you might stuff them with? Saying something like, 'I noticed last time that the only thing I served that they seemed to enjoy were the meat dishes, and I wondered what other sort of thing they like, pizza?pasta?casserole?'

Then, when you 'head them off at the pass' so to speak, you can direct them to whatever it is in a jokey sort of way. 'Hey guys, I know how hungry teenage boys can be, so I made pizza (or whatever) specially for you so you won't have to inhale all the meat before anybody else gets some, [smile, wink].

• deegw
    13 years ago

How old are the boys? Reminding a 21 year old about manners is little more tricky than reminding a 13 year old.

I entertain a lot with children and have no trouble gently reminding them about manners. A quick, "Boys, let's save some meat for the other guests." should suffice. Just be discreet and don't make a big deal out of it. I would also try to pick a time when the Mom isn't within hearing distance. A little sneaky but a lot less awkward.

Kids that are like locusts are one of my pet peeves. You are gracious enough to invite people into your home and feed them. You shouldn't be expected to operate like a Shoney's.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the plan--no brisket this year--I am on a budget this year--DH out of a job for over a year. Sloppy Joes(never even thought about these), wings(two trays--one for the main swarm and one for a little later in the evening), meatballs, and smokies. Surely that will be enough for the "locusts". They're ages are 15 and 11. The 15 year old is the main "culprit". He thinks it's just darn funny how much he can eat. This year I am going to say something--lightheartedly.

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

Friends of friends? If your friends call and ask if they can bring their friends, they are at least as rude as your teenage nephews, and without the excuse of being children.
    How about trying the Miss Manners approach? Say, "I'm so sorry, I've planned for a certain number of guests, but we'd love to meet them some other time." Unless of course you are having sort of an open house and like the idea of friends bringing people. But since you call them "crashers" I think you don't like it. Really they're not crashers, because you said they could come.

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Ask him what his favorite sub is and order one from a deli. Make a big deal out of telling him that you want to make sure he gets enough to eat. Start him off with the sub on his plate. There won't be room for much more.
    I have two teenage sons who can also eat a tremendous amount. Somewhere along the line, it sounds like the amount of food your nephew eats has been a source of praise by some. He is keeping up a tradition. Just because he can eat a lot doesn't mean he has to. Get a sub.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Since you are on a budget this year with DH being out of work, so you are a good egg for still hosting a big party. I know this is last minute, but can you ask close family to bring some items to offset the cost and increase the spread? I am sure they know the situation and will not mind. I certainly wouldn't mind.

Baked ziti with red sauce and ham chuncks instead of beef/pork with feed a crowd. Ditch the wings and go for legs and thighs. Wings around here in Chicago sell for almost $2 per pound while the legs go for .49 per pound. more meat to feed the hungry vultures too. Ham is good too and leaves you with a bone for soup later. Slice it up the day before and warm it up.

I mean no offense to you but if you invited me and my family to your home and then made comments about how much food I or they could take, even jokingly, I would be offended. Perhaps you can distract the young eaters by having them help you so they hit the chow line later after others have taken?

And as for the crashers, let them come. Just tell the "askers" that you may be running low on food and a contribution would be appreciated this year.

• stbonner
    13 years ago

" mean no offense to you but if you invited me and my family to your home and then made comments about how much food I or they could take, even jokingly, I would be offended. Perhaps you can distract the young eaters by having them help you so they hit the chow line later after others have taken?"

In the case of my nephew, the problem was not that he was taking a double or even triple size serving of food, it was that he was taking (I kid you not) enough casserole for 10 people. Really. If someone is offended that I politely ask their child not to take enough food for 10 people, then so be it. I also wouldn't allow someone else's two year old to climb onto my table and dance on it either, or to torment my dogs for example. In the case of my nephew (I can only speak for myself here) this was repeated behavior and in the past other family members didn't get any casserole because this boy was allowed to empty the dish. Rude, rude, rude - and his mother was standing right beside him. If his mother (or anyone else, for that matter) thinks I was rude to try to see that everyone in the family got a chance at a favorite dish, then so be it. I am not stingy with my portions, but I've got to say that I'm not willing to cook an extra 10 to 12 servings for one person because he hasn't been taught proper manners.

• shaun
    13 years ago

love2weed, does your family know that your husband has been out of work? If so how about asking the nephews mom if she would mind bringing a tray of wings to help you out? Would that be rude to do in your family?

I might also make a big tray of macc n cheese and maybe they'll fill up on that instead? My son would like that more than the wings; he's 14.

Or, how about a kids table? A special nephew table filled with things kids love, candies, cookies, (small trays) some wings, some meatballs,macc n cheese or some other baked pasta dish, ... not a lot. Maybe they'd be excited to have their own table (card table) then they'll fill up on their stuff and be too full to demolish the adult table foods.

Can't wait to see how you handle this. Hope no feelings are hurt in the process.

The weekend before last I had a bonfire out back and invited some friends over. One of the couples texted me back saying they'd be here and were bringing a friend and possibly his son. WHAT? 1) I dont know the friend and 2) I wasnt including kids in this get together.

So I wrote her back asking if they *had* to bring the friend & his son, because I was really trying to keep it small. (only so many can fit around a bonfire, ya know?) So she said they already had plans with him. I just said that if they could manage to come without these people, that I'd love to see them.

Do you know they still showed up with the friend and his girlfriend! My friend said, "he didnt bring his son, he brought his girlfriend instead; same amount of people"

I was floored. And listen to this - this unknown couple came in, went directly to the food, ate like they hadnt eaten in days and LEFT. How rude!

And my dog hated the man. He kept growling at him and my dog loves everyone. So this man must have not been a good person. Animals know.

So as I ramble on and highjack this with animals knowing good people................

let us know how it all works out~

• jessyf
    13 years ago

(oh and don't get me started on parents who let their kids load up on food...and most of it gets tossed!)

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

stbonner-I couldn't agree with you more. Your situation sounds exactly like mine. If I would have ever seen my own kids do something that rude, I would have take them aside and gave them a good tongue lashing about manners, but fortunately I never had to. They just knew better.

I guess this really hits home to me, I am a school teacher by profession and I am amazed at the lack of manners and proper etiquette in children today. It all stems from proper parenting--and sadly most young parents today are not doing it. With this said--please take note that I said "most", I know there are some exceptions--but it should be the other way around--but rudeness seems to be the norm. This nephew is just rude--at Christmas one time--he made the comment "that I forgot to give him his gift".

• lindac
    13 years ago

I have 6 grandsons, ranging in age from 24 to the 15 year old twins. I always have a buffet early on Christmas. Any one of those boys/young men could easily eat all of the chili dip, or all of the shrimp or all of the wings or all of the little smokies, or all of the pound of brie....but their parents have pointed out to them that they should taks some of several things and not load up on just one thing. I have never tasted that chili dip;-)....it must be wonderful! this year I will double the recipe and take the first taste.
    I always want people to have all they want of whatever it is I am serving, but there is no excuse for eating just one thing, and eating all there is of that.

A couple of years ago I was asked to do the lunch for 150 members of our presbytery. they paid $6 for lunch and I tried to give them their money's worth and still make 3 or 4 hundred tward news toves in our church. I made chicken salad sandwiches, ham sandwiches, a marinated vegetable and pasta salad and a bowl of fruit, some fresh and some frozen. Some people took nothing but fruit, piled their plated high, and the last 50 people didn't get any.
    You might explain to the teenaged piggies that food is planned so that everyone will have more than enough, but that you didn't plan for one or 2 people to fill up on just one item.
    Then buy more wings!!!
    Linda C

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I'm sorry, but I have some strong opinions on this subject. I've been living frugal for years now and people need to wise up about food. It is a precious gift and not to be wasted. And you don't need to load up on meat to be well fed at a party. Baked ziti, sloppy joes, and pulled pork sandwiches (if this isn't a Jewish crowd) are less expensive ways to feed a crowd meat. Also little smokies and sweet and sour meatballs or sweedish meatballs. Also, you could make hoppin john, which is a delicious bean dish with sausage or bacon for flavoring (you can use turkey stuff) and blackeyed peas. It is a traditional holiday dish.

I am of the "more the merrier" persuasion when it comes to guests, but I don't try to put on a fancy do when I entertain--folks don't mind the tried and true inexpensive standards. Homey, inexpensive food is loved for good reason. Adults may be impressed with cheesecake, but everyone also LOVES oatmeal cookies just as much!! Or oatmeal apple cake. And so on for inexpensive substitutions. Oh, BTW, how about a baked potato bar for the teens--potatoes are filling and inexpensive. You can even add some sweet potatoes and other colored potatoes to be "exotic" and yet still inexpensive!!

Next, I cannot believe people do not bring food to parties. The way I was raised, if you got invited to someone's house, you ALWAYS brought something as a gift to the hostess in appreciation for the time and effort and money s/he expended on your behalf. Whenever I get invited to a big party, the first thing I say is, "What can I bring" and this is not just me, a LOT of my friends do this too. The hostess can always turn me down, but I am more than happy to help out and I expect to.

Lastly, as a school teacher myself, I know that manners are a learned thing. To get praise for overloading one's plate with food is just wrong on a lot of levels. If the parents aren't going to bring this up, I don't think it is wrong for caring adults to speak to children about manners, in a nice friendly way. Explain the principle (consideration for others) and do it in a non-accusatory, nice way. But I think it is important for kids to be gently coached on how to "be a mensch" as my grandmother used to say. (In other words, act like a "human being"). Children may rebel and talk back, but that's a teenagers way of processing information. They need and like structure and will thank you for it some day. I know I am thankful I had "the meanest mom in the world" growing up! :)

• Fori
    13 years ago

It depends so much on the parents and the kids and how well everyone knows each other.

I do think most kids in that age range probably don't realize they're causing problems and just a friendly heads up that they need to hold back so everyone gets a chance should be alright. If that makes them or their parents angry, they can choose to skip future events and you probably won't miss them.

I think the plan of spreading out the food over the evening should help a lot.

And if you're really worried, how about some of Stbonner's squash casserole to distract them? :)

• westsider40
    13 years ago

I am in the 'have enough food for everyone' camp. You wouldn't have shrimps if you had to mentally portion 3 per person and then have a fit when the first 12 shrimper hit the buffet line. There have been plenty of budget friendly suggestions here. Buy an extra bag or two of frozen meatballs. Do you have a dessert table? Make it a Mexican fiesta theme with huge trays of do-it-yourself taco stuff. (keep some sour cream in the kitchen)

Change the party time to a non-dinner hour such as 8-12. Most would not expect to be fed dinner.

I think it is rude to chastise or instruct a guest who eats more than you think he should. Make sure you can afford to feed your guests, and if you cannot afford 'meat' dishes, have a party party with snacks(but enough for all) or a dessert party.

Are you planning booze, wine or beer? That is an expense, and one which the teens won't affect. The existence of booze and not enough food for invited huge-eating relatives? That opens comments.

Hospitality, at Christmas especially, is about caring for all your guests. Either withhold food for intervals, get more budget friendly food, change the food focus to not be dinner, etc.

It reminds me of our former swim club banquets where the high schoolers descended upon the buffet lines and left just the salad for the 10 year olds!!! They were well raised kids, good manners-just that the restaurants were not prepared. So later banquets, planned by smarter parents, had enough food or didn't serve buffet style. I understand that this is a buffet party-just saying that being forewarned about big eaters is a good reason to be prepared.

My opinion, that's all.

• Fori
    13 years ago

But you can have more than enough food for everyone and a few guests can still monopolize one dish. There's nothing you can do about that without getting twice as much of EVERYTHING (since you don't know what they're going to go for).

Or just tell 'em. Sometimes you have to step in for the parents.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I don't agree with fori.....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you have a teens and chicken wings....
    They will NOT be all over the crab in the Belgian endive nor the clam dip nor the oysters Florentine....but brisket and wings are the best things in the world to them....outside of pizza!!! They won't pig out on celery nor broccoli....even with Ranch!
    You need to have more of the teen friendly stuff....and perhaps even a little less of the other stuff.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Okay, I admit there are SOME things that will be guaranteed safe. =P

• User
    13 years ago

I truly get what you're up against because I've had some relatives on DH's side whose table manners left me aghast. More so, their parents, who appear either clueless or make jokes about the boys' needing sidecars for their brimming plates.

It's not the cost of providing the food that irks me, it's the disrespect for others, and the fact that all the carefully prepared and presented dishes get inhaled without any more appreciation than if they were scarfing down a bucket of movie theatre popcorn. I'm not talking about typical hungry, growing teenagers. I'm talking about kids who make a sport of hoarding and wolfing the food you have graciously offered them. I find it obscene to watch anyone stuffing down huge amounts of food as if they were animals.

I'd like to say that eventually they will mature and become more considerate, but there's a better chance that they'll just grow into rude adults.

In your place, if these kids were guests who came on a weekly or monthly basis, I might speak to them or their parents. But if this is just an annual event, I wouldn't risk putting a damper on the evening by broaching it. I would take the suggestion of those who advise parsing the meat servings throughout the early evening.

I hope you have a wonderful time. It's a real gift you are giving your family and friends to open your home to them.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Is the idea that this is a dinner or appetizers? That's the big difference to me. If they're invited to come and "fill up", that's one thing. If it's to socialize and have some appetizers, that's different.

Anyone who would be offended that someone would tell a rude kid to back off is... well rude. No wonder kids get this way. Yes, it's bad parenting. When we were kids, we were taught you don't take more than "x" amount. You'll be fed later unless it's a meal situation and even then, manners were required.

No you're not a bad hostess to run out of food especially if you're feeding rude people. You're not running an all you can eat for free place and it's obnoxious that people would even suggest otherwise.

I'd go with the little 6" or smaller plates. Or something that is eaten with napkins. You might wind up with someone who stands there and grazes all night long but there's nothing wrong with saying something or have someone say something to them.

Hope all works out and ope you have a great and low-stress time.

• User
    13 years ago

Love2weed, I sympathize with you and understand how frustrating this is.

But that said, as a hostess you want to make your guests feel welcome and comfortable. You can't do that if you are monitoring what they are eating and heaven forbid, commenting on their consumption.

If it isn't possible to exclude the young nephews in your invitation, then I would take some of the advice above and just make sure you have extra of what you know the boys will eat.

I like one of the ideas above, of making the boys feel special by having something set up just for them. If there are other kids in the same age group you could have a "kids" table, with wings, pizza, etc...

Please do not criticize your nephews eating habits at a Holiday celebration. Nothing good will come of it.

Ann

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I think they are hungry, growing boys who love your food. Boys that age need ENORMOUS quantities of food and drink, and as their hostess, well, I think you should feed them what you know they love. A plate full of chicken wings is hardly a meal! They're delicious, and they need a lot of wings to fill up. It's a compliment!

From the hours you'll be hosting, I think you must consider this dinner, and that means lots of food. If the boys didn't eat the wings, they'd eat something else - THEY'RE HUNGRY! Make more wings just for them, or don't make wings at all. But if you skip the wings, they'll eat a lot of something else!

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

I have to say that if you are going to mention it to either the boys or their mother, you have to do it beforehand. Not while they are heading for the table or worse, the in midst of driving the backhoe up to the table. No, you need to say something before you even put out the food. Either call the mother before they even arrive or talk to her when they first get there. How can we say it's bad parenting when she may not even be aware of it? It's bad parenting if she knows about the rude manners and then does nothing.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Sigh. I am bothered by rude children and I do not hesitate to correct my nieces and nephews, my grandkids, heck, even the neighbor's kids.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, I don't think at the party is a good time to do it. If you see these boys in advance I'd probably take them aside, tell them that this year is a bit tight and ask for their help in making sure there's enough for everyone. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for and they do not need to be protected or insulated from all of life's realities.

Other than that, I think putting out portions at different intervals is a good idea, it'll keep the buffet line fresher anyway. If you really can't afford to throw all those wings into the bottomless pits that are your nephews, I'd change the menu to something less expensive. You could ditch the wings and personally, I love a baked potato bar and never eat chicken wings. They are all skin and bones and here they are $3 a pound. I can get chicken breasts more cheaply than I can get wings and I can get thighs for even less. Cut those into strips or chunks, add the sauce you'd use for the wings and you have the same thing, but cheaper.

Good luck, and happy holidays. I'm thinking good thoughts for your DH and the work situation. Above all, have a good time, this is a celebration.

Annie

• bunkster2
    13 years ago

Although planning on pacing the arrival of food (saving some back etc) is good, I have to agree with those that say it is really time to address the 'enthusiastic eaters' in your family. I think you can be nice about it, but I have sadly seen the consequences of not learning some manners in the workplace. One finalist for a job was not given the offer because a serious case of gluttony was shown at an interview dinner, along the same lines of loading up on food without concern for others. So I don't look at this kind of conversation to be harsh, but rather kind in that it gives them a learning opportunity for the future when others may not be so indulgent to rude behavior.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I also wonder if these nephews and their mother know a meal is going to be served and so they arrive famished, having saved up for a good feed.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Party is over and we did not have the same usual tray of wings. I made meatballs, smokies, sloppy joes, and ham. Had plenty of everything and didn't notice the "nephew" loading up on one particular food item this year. There were plenty of sloppy joes, but I wouldn't say they were a hit. Hopefully, next year brisket can be back on the menu. No "lecture" about buffet etiquette was needed. In reality, I probably wouldn't have said anything--we have quite a bit of drama going on with the family right now. I wouldn't want to add to it. So all in all, we had a very nice party. Now on to clean up the mess.

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

I'm really glad your party was a success and there were no issues with your nephew. The food sounds delicious and you are a commendable hostess for throwing this party even as things are tight.

This thread was really helpful to me. My oldest is 12 and can pack away an impressive amount of food. His father likes to joke that he's on a 10,000 cal/day diet, and some days it certainly does seem that way. This was a great reminder to talk to him about courtesy and politeness at the dinner table, not just at a social function but at any time. I'd hate to have someone else pick up on his bad manners and comment on them, when it is really my job to try and teach him. I have noticed lately that he holds his fork like a shovel and leans over his plate like a mad dog. I'm not sure when this started, I just recently noticed it, but we're working on it!

We are all a work in progress.

AM

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Boys eat. And eat. I remember when one of my sons said, "I'm still hungry, but I'm tired of eating!" He was 5'10" and 140 lbs at the time and had already packed away a ton of food at that sitting. There was no filling up my three sons. Not one of them is an overweight, ill-mannered adult.

It sounds like your party was a great success, loves2weed. I hope you had a good time, too. Savor your success while you're cleaning up! I'll be thinking of you while I'm eating my breakfast. I love parties!

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I'm glad everything worked out well and you had a great time. When all is said and done, having fun with friends and family is really what it is all about.....

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Glad it all worked out....mostly! Family drama, ugh, BTDT!