SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Thinking of adopting

Nancy in Mich
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

When Weed decided to adopt the new dog, I gave her some of our sad stories of how difficult it was to have three dogs after we rescued our third. Well, despite her sad outcome (Taco and Maggie at home could not adjust to having the new girl there, and the new girl was also acting out, if I remember it right), we are thinking of adopting an older female, currently called Fawn (you will see why!).

I did the Petfinder search for months, thinking about getting a new female after our Megan died in January. I feel like Weed did, too - we have lots of love to share and could give a good home to a poor homeless pet.

We met three of the dogs we are considering today. Sophie is a huge Great Pyrenees, but very mellow. She nas never jumped up on anyone and gets along with dogs. Libby is a smaller and younger Gordon Setter and a beautiful dog. She is very good, but probably too energetic for our situation. We fell for Fawn. She is a tiny thing with hair resembling a Golden Retriever's. She is older, at least 6, possibly 9. The story is that her dad had Alzheimer's. She had to have a new home when he went to a nursing home. The rescue has had her for a month and she gets along well with the other dogs (7 or 8 at a time) in her foster home. She showed interest in the other dogs at the adoption event, but was very laid back. She was shaved when they got her, so her fur is now about an inch long, but you can see the wisps they left that show that she is a long-haired dog. She likes to run with dogs, and to play, but does not want to wrestle or get in the face of the other dogs. She also held her own when the Great Pyrenees tried to loom over her in a dominant move, snaped once and moved away. She is said to have a quiet, high bark that is not used much. She hears loud noises, but perhaps not quiet ones. Her sight is good. The old man said that her name is "Davis", but if it was, she does not know it. She hasn't learned "Fawn" yet, but may not hear it very well.

Our first choice was a dog named Sadie, a flat-coated Retriever and Spaniel mix. Today her fosters brought her to the adoption event, apparently to get permission to take her to the vet. She is ill. She was curled in the backseat of the car. We had been told earlier that she "had found a home" with her fosters, who have had her for eight months. So, if she makes it, they may adopt her.

So we are planning to have Toby and Casey meet Fawn this week. What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fawn

Comments (20)