SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

Sub question for you cookie bakers

noinwi
12 years ago

I want to try a new ginger cookie recipe that I cut and pasted from a site(can't remember where so I'm sorry I'm not giving credit where it's due).

It calls for 2 Tbs of dark corn syrup. Don't have it, not gonna go buy it just for this recipe. I don't have honey. I do have regular molasses, but I don't like a strong molasses taste in cookies(unless they are actually molasses cookies). I assume the corn syrup does something to the texture? Would 2 Tbs make that much difference? Can it be left out, or could a tiny amount of molasses be used instead? TIA

Here is the recipe:

Fresh Ginger Cookies

Ingredients

� 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

� 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

� 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

� 1/4 teaspoon salt

� 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

� 1 1/4 cups sugar

� 2 large eggs

� 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup

� 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger

� 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350� F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, and salt; set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar on medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs, corn syrup, and grated ginger and mix until well combined. Blend in the flour mixture, cover, and refrigerate until slightly stiff (the dough will be easier to handle).

3. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and the remaining sugar. Form the dough into 1/2-inch balls and roll each in the cinnamon sugar. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Comments (11)