SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lov2garden

Bakers: Help with 2 Chocolate Cookie problems

lov2garden
16 years ago

I'm having 2 problems getting my rolled chocolate cookies consistently flavored and baked.

I use a Martha Stewart recipe for rolled Chocolate cookies that I then have fun decorating. Since I bake cookies in quantity, I have converted my recipes to fit the size of my stand mixer and weigh the dry ingredients instead of measuring in cups.

The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion book chart says 1 1/4 cups of cocoa converts to 3 3/4 oz. When I doubled the recipe and use weights, the comments on the chocolate cookies went from "to die for" to "inedible, way too chocolatety". Where am I going wrong? Can the conversion chart be wrong? Please don't suggest I go back to cup measures because I bake in too much quantity and find it's the only way to be accurate with large quantities of flour under any weather conditions.

2. What is the secret to baking chocolate cookies without scorching them? I find there is a fine line between "crisp" and "scorched". I am so afraid of scorching them, I wind up baking them to less than crisp. One thing I have tried is baking them on a stack of two cookie sheets which has helped reduce the risk of scorching. Still, I'd rather they be crisp than soft in texture. Any pointers are appreciated! How can I test them along the way. My nose can sure smell scorched chocolate but that's too late!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville