SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tami_ohio

Chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe?

tami_ohio
13 years ago

DS just asked me for a chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe. I don't have one, but I know where to come to find one! Hope someone can help.

Tami

Comments (10)

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The recipe on the back of the Toll House bag has been a favorite for years. Having said that I love Sol's recipe too.

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies - Sol

2 cups AP flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    2 cups light brown sugar, packed
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional

Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. On low speed, add the flour mixture, and mix until barely blended. Add chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by tablespoons onto sheet pan and bake in a 350°F oven, for 12-15 minutes.

I've also made a recipe called browned butter ccc's that I had from here but can find it. You melted and browned part of the butter first. Gave the cookies a wonderful nutty flavor from browning the butter. If anyone remembers this or has the recipe please post it.

Now I'm craving a CCC!

David

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Tami, Here are a couple of recipes to try. If you do, let us know how they turned out! I've had these in my files to ''try'' for a while now.

Adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours
    by Dorie Greenspan

Makes about 45 cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon salt (go for 1 1/4 teaspoons if you really like salt)
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or 2 cups storebought chocolate chips or chunks
    1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
    Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda and keep close at hand.
    Working in a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for about 1 minute, until smooth. Add the sugars and beat for another 2 minutes or so, until well blended. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat for 1 minute after each egg goes in. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in 3 portions, mixing only until each addition is incorporated. On low speed, or by hand with a rubber spatula, mix in the chocolate and nuts. (The dough can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen. If you'd like, you can freeze rounded tablespoons of dough, ready for baking. There's no need to defrost before baking - just add another minute or two to the baking time.)
    Spoon the dough by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between spoonfuls.
    Bake the cookies - one sheet at a time and rotating the sheet at the midway point - for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are set around the edges; they may still be a little soft in the middle, and that's just fine. Pull the sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to rest for 1 minute, then carefully, using a wide metal spatula, transfer them to racks to cool to room temperature.
    Repeat with the remainder of the dough, cooling the baking sheets between batches.

Here's another:

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 sticks butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    2 cups chocolate chips, 2 Hershey's chocolate bars, chopped or M&M'S
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. In another large bowl stir together butter, both sugars, eggs, vanilla and cocoa. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir chocolate chips and walnuts, if using, and stir to distribute evenly.
    For cookies: Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets and bake about 10 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.
    For bars: Pat dough into a greased 9 inch square baking pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into squares when cooled.

Note: I believe this was a Food Network recipe.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cheesecake

Q

Comments (4)
    Yeah, buckets. It's a fund-raiser thing that the schools do, at least in my area. The kids usually go door-to-door, selling buckets of cookie dough (different flavors), or gift wrapping, or candles, or candy, stuff like that. It's not that great (Tim & Cass would rather eat it raw, anyway), but I thought it would be fine for "crust" purposes! LOL Lori
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Looking for a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you mean a cookie that had macaroons crumbled up in a chocolate chip cookie? or do you mean a macaroon that has chocolate chips in it? Linda C
    ...See More

Favorite classic chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Q

Comments (26)
    So interesting how a little bit of this or that...or none at all...can make a difference. Years ago I had a request to make a lot of decorated sugar cookies for an event. I was so frustrated because my TNT recipe was NOT working. The cookies were spreading like crazy in the oven. I was pretty frustrated since any/all advice I got from those I thought could help were all tips I already knew. I'd even sent an email to Shirley Corriher. Plus, I'd made the cookies a zillion times. Finally, a caterer I knew asked about my baking sheets. I'd bought those insulated "air-bake" cookie sheets and was using them. Never even thought about that and no one else had asked. She told me to go back to my faithful non-insulated, heavy-duty aluminum pans. She said the insulated sheets heat more slowly giving the cookies more time to spread. Problem solved! I've since had others tell me they don't have the spread problem with their insulated sheets. IDK...could be it was just the brand I'd bought but they're long gone.
    ...See More

ISO a recipe for bar cookies using chocolate chips or other ideas

Q

Comments (26)
    Here's my go to when I need a treat and don't want to take the time to do much....fast easy and good. Cookies blond brownies 2 2/3 cups sifted flour 1 tsp salt 2 tsps BP Melt 2/3 cup butter, add 1 lb brown sugar and allow to cool Beat in 3 eggs Add one 7 oz pkg chocolate chips 1 tsp vanilla Spread in greased jelly roll pan And bake 350 for 20 to 25 minutes…..cool and cut into squares. Mix all in one pan….buy a 2 pound bag of brown sugar and eye-ball half of it. Melt butter in 2 qt sauce pan, add sugar, stir and allow to cool measure flour, add salt and Baking Powder and mix Beat the eggs ( with a spoon) into the sugar butter mix, add the flour…add the chocolate chips and nuts if desired….turnout into a jelly roll pan and bake….don’t over bake! Makes about 24 2 inch squares.
    ...See More
  • shaun
    13 years ago

Sol's Recipe. Forever and ever, Amen.

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

LOL! I missed the chocolate chocolate part. CDL's recipes look good, let us know what y'all think if try them.

David

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I use Sol's recipe with my modifications A LOT!

I love Dorie's World Peace Chocolate cookies but they are a shortbread. (not the recipe posted above)..

I am making a cookie right now from 101 Cookbooks..

As soon as the boys pizza comes out they are going in..the batter is really good.

I used two packets of instant coffee tubes.
    And cocoa nibs for the "beans"..

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Dorie Greenspan has never steered me wrong, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one of her recipes.

I use this one, it's crisp and crunchy and I like the addition of espresso. I got the recipe from my boss, the coffee fiend...

Double-Chocolate Espresso Cookies

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
    1/2 cup butter, cubed
    1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee granules
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Melt unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup chocolate chips and butter with coffee granules; stir until smooth. (I do this in the microwave, but you can do it on the stove too)
    Remove from the heat or microwave; set aside to cool.

Beat sugar and eggs until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Beat in the chocolate mixture. Combine the flour,
    baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and tops are cracked. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.

Yield: 3 dozen.

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

The recipe I linked to above is quite tasty, however mine aren't "puffy" like the picture..and my dough wasn't quite that thick as in the picture either ..but they are tasty..Kamren's been by the cooling rack a few times and left it "lighter"..LOL

I told him I was going to make some ice cream sandwiches with some..and he said..."hurry up"... LOL

• JoanM
    13 years ago

I like the world peace cookies.

World peace Cookies

Excerpted from Baking: From My House to Yours by Dorie Greenspan (Houghton Mifflin, 2006). Copyright 2006 by Dorie Greenspan.
    Makes about 36 cookies

I once said I thought these cookies, the brainchild of the Parisian pastry chef Pierre Hermé, were as important a culinary breakthrough as Toll House cookies, and I've never thought better of the statement. These butter-rich, sandy-textured slice-and-bake cookies are members of the sablé family. But, unlike classic sablés, they are midnight dark there's cocoa in the dough and packed with chunks of hand-chopped bittersweet chocolate. Perhaps most memorably, they're salty. Not just a little salty, but remarkably and sensationally salty. It's the salt Pierre uses fleur de sel, a moist, off-white sea salt that surprises, delights and makes the chocolate flavors in the cookies seem preternaturally profound.
    When I included these in Paris Sweets, they were called Korova Cookies and they instantly won fans, among them my neighbor Richard Gold, who gave them their new name. Richard is convinced that a daily dose of Pierre's cookies is all that is needed to ensure planetary peace and happiness.

* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    * 2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
    * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    * 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

1. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking soda together.
    2. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add both sugars, the salt and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes more.
    3. Turn off the mixer. Pour in the dry ingredients, drape a kitchen towel over the stand mixer to protect yourself and your kitchen from flying flour and pulse the mixer at low speed about 5 times, a second or two each time. Take a peek if there is still a lot of flour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple of times more; if not, remove the towel. Continuing at low speed, mix for about 30 seconds more, just until the flour disappears into the dough for the best texture, work the dough as little as possible once the flour is added, and don't be concerned if the dough looks a little crumbly. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix only to incorporate.
    4. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, shape the dough into logs that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. If you've frozen the dough, you needn't defrost it before baking just slice the logs into cookies and bake the cookies 1 minute longer.)

Getting Ready to Bake:
    5. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
    6. Using a sharp thin knife, slice the logs into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick. (The rounds are likely to crack as you're cutting them don't be concerned, just squeeze the bits back onto each cookie.) Arrange the rounds on the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them.
    7. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes they won't look done, nor will they be firm, but that's just the way they should be. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies rest until they are only just warm, at which point you can serve them or let them reach room temperature.

• lindac
    13 years ago

sol's recipe and mine, the one from the back of the Nestles wrapper are all the same....but Sol's contains 2 cups of brown sugar and mine calls for one cup of white and one of brown.
    I can't decide which I like better....but have never made them side by side....maybe I better do that!
    Linda C

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

He found a recipe on line before any of you replied. I will be saving all you posted for future reference, tho! When I find out what recipe he used, I will post it. They came out pretty good! Thanks for the ideas.

Tami