SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trsinc

Favorite Prime Rib Recipe or Method?

trsinc
15 years ago

Several of you have mentioned prime rib for your christmas dinner so now I'm drooling about it. I've only had it once and that was at a restaurant. While it was good, I didn't think it was worth 25.00 for one serving. I've had other meals that were much better for the same price.

So, what's your favorite way?

Someone posted a pic once not long ago of theirs and it had some sort of crust on it. I can't find that post, but if you see this or remember can you direct me to it?

Thank you and pleeease help. Hubby is looking forward to it now, as well, lol.

Comments (12)

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I presalt mine and heavily pepper before roasting..
    I have high heated it....hubby want's to try convection roast this year..since it worked so well on the turkey at Thanksgiving. (I've also done the high heat, turn off then turn back on to 350F. I think Paula Deen has direction for this method on FoodTv.)
    Whatever you do don't over cook...must be rare in the center pieces..LOL :O) Something for everyone that way..my little boys like the end pieces...my oldest son likes it medium to just a smidge pink(so he gets the next slice, I like mine more pink then medium, so I get the next slice..and hubby likes his rare, he gets the middle...

~Pre Salt: rub the whole roast well with kosher salt, slip into a plastic baggie or a dish and cover well with plastic wrap 2-3 days ahead, the night before you are going to cook it or in the morning if you are doing dinner, uncover and set out in the fridge to "dry".

• caliloo
    15 years ago

This is the way I have made it for the last several years and we think it is the best recipe we have tried.

HERBED RIB ROAST
    Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 11 hr
    For roast
    1 (7- to 8-lb) prime rib roast (sometimes called standing rib roast; 3 or 4 ribs)
    1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
    2 bay leaves (not California)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    3 garlic cloves
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1 tablespoon olive oil

For jus
    2 cups beef broth
    1 small fresh rosemary sprig
    1 small fresh thyme sprig
    1 garlic clove, smashed

Prepare roast: Trim all but a thin layer of fat from roast. Grind peppercorns and bay leaves with salt to a powder in an electric coffee/spice grinder, then transfer to a mortar. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary, then pound to a smooth paste with pestle. Stir in oil. Rub paste all over roast. Transfer roast to a rack set in a small flameproof roasting pan. Dry marinate, chilled, at least 8 hours, up to 36 hours.

Cook roast: Let roast stand at room temperature 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450F.

Roast beef in middle of oven 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and roast beef until a thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 110°F, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours more. Transfer beef to a large platter and let stand, uncovered, 25 minutes. (Meat will continue to cook, reaching about 130°F for medium-rare.)

Make jus: Skim fat from pan juices. Add broth, rosemary, thyme, and garlic and deglaze pan by simmering on top of stove over moderate heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Transfer to a small saucepan and add any juices that have collected on platter. Gently simmer 10 minutes. Skim fat and season jus with salt and pepper.

Put slices from roast and serve with jus.
    Makes 8 servings.

• Related Discussions

In a rut - leftover prime rib?

Q

Comments (13)
    If you have leftover bones this is a finger licking good way to use them up. Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Thu, Dec 19, 02 at 11:20 This isn't the answer to your question but be sure to save the bones and the next night, you can have Devilled Beef Bones for dinner. Rub bones with cut garlic cloves, then sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and rub it in. Spread on both sides with a spicy good-quality prepared mustard. Roll ribs in fine dry bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crumbs form a crispy coating and meat is warmed through. Serve with plenty of napkins. David
    ...See More

Prime Rib

Q

Comments (12)
    I've had trouble over the years finding one that I can consistently rely on. Last year I tried Paul Dean's recipe (the one where you roast it for awhile, then leave the oven off for several hours and then turn it back on for a little bit). That was the best roast yet. But like terri mentions, you really can't cook anything else in your oven with this method. So I usually steam some veggies and make a potato dish on the stove.......and continue to ask Santa for a second oven. I'm a little concerned that you might be trying this for the first time for people at Christmas. It can be a trial and error thing, and that's alot of expensive meat. Its always better to undercook and slowly add more time than to have it overcooked. I finally bought a digital thermometer so I can watch the temp from outside the oven. Good luck!
    ...See More

What sides with Prime Rib?

Q

Comments (44)
    Gorgonzola dolce is on the creamier side in comparison to other blue cheeses. It's a great "starter" blue in case you have trepidation about more powerful blues. It's hard to tell you what to choose from unless we know what your choices are! Do you have a cheese monger near you? Good "gourmet" cheese sections at your local stores? Local artisans selling cheese at a farmers market? What you have available for purchase greatly affects the answer to your question. What I can tell you for sure is that when you buy your blue, taste it! If it seems powerful to your taste buds, use less of it. There's no bad blue, imo. Just gradations in piquantness/boldness.
    ...See More

Pre-salt Prime Rib??

Q

Comments (22)
    That does sound interesting tomatobob! Do you remember what magazine? Does the "helmet" just get tossed away? (I'm envisioning myself trying to come up with a good use for a salty, crusty chunk of 'pastry'....LOL). My prime rib was excellent! Thanks to all who encouraged the pre-salt. I normally pull my roast at 122 degrees because we like it pretty rare. This one cooked to 127 (I forgot to turn the buzzer on), and was still juicy and delicious...even the small end that was medium-well. The larger end was perfectly rare so we had something to suit everyone! Shaved some of the leftovers to take to another family gathering tomorrow and I'm hoarding the rest!! LOL Deanna
    ...See More
  • trsinc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They both sound really good! I had not thought of pre-salting.

Caliloo, by dry marinate, do you mean to leave uncovered in the fridge for 8 - 36 hours?

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

There are many many ways to roast a standing rib, I'll add my method :)

I have a 6 1/2 lb (3 rib)standing rib roast that I bought yesterday. Rinsed it, patted dry, set it in a paper towel lined shallow pan on a rack to dry age in the back of the frig. (cloth towel covering to protect)
    Christmas day I will remove from frig and carefully trim any dried meat from the roast. I'll then run a knife down the ribs to remove, careful to keep close to the bone, then I'll re-tie them back on for added flavor. (save them after cooked for another delicious meal) It will be left out an couple of hours to come up closer to room temp. (although it would take much longer than this, I don't leave it out much longer).
    I'll pre-heat the oven to 500*, season the roast with a dry rub, insert meat thermometer and cook for 20 minutes. (Or I could brown the roast on top of the stove and skip this step). I'll lower the oven to 200* and cook the roast until the temperature reaches 128*. I'll tent the roast with foil and let rest for 20-30 minutes. The carry over heat should raise the temp about 4-5 additional degrees which puts it into the zone of a medium rare. The roast will be an even pink from one end to the other...kind of like a restaurant style. We like thicker slices, so this will feed 6 people well with maybe a slice left over. I pre made an Au Jus from meat bones a couple of weeks ago as I have never gotten enough jus from the prime rib to be happy.
    Then we all gobble it up like little piggies :)

• shaun
    15 years ago

I just made one the night before last night. I had the butcher cut it away from the bone and tie it on. I Salted and peppered it and let it sit out on the counter for 2 hrs and then put it in the preheated oven at 425 for 15 mins. THen I lowered the temp to 325 and roasted it until the themometer read almost 130. Took it out, covered it in foil and let it rest until the rest of our dinner was ready.

It was delicious.

BUT now I have those luscious bones. Wondering what I can do with them? They are in a freezer bag in the freezer until I figure out what to do with them.

Any suggestions ?

• ann_t
    15 years ago

As mentioned many times, my favourite method is the High Heat Method of Barbara Kakfa's. Produces a perfectly

every time.

I usually take my beef out of the oven when the temperature reaches 115 to 120°. As it rests for 15 to 20 minutes the internal temperature will rise another 5 to 10 degrees.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

High Heat cooking Instructions
    ==============================
    . General Instructions (for Barbara Kafka's "Roasting A Simple Art")
    "Different meats and different cuts have different cooking times. That's
    why there are recipes. I did try to find a universal rule so that I could
    say as I do for fish, "ten minutes per inch" or for chicken "ten minutes per
    pound," and then describe the exceptions. It didn't work. Timing is as
    much a factor of fat content, bone content, and the shape of the roast as a
    specific kind of meat.

The only easy rules are for boneless loin of pork or beef (the shell or
    strip) and venison and beef fillet. They always cook in the same amount of
    time since the only way they increase in size is according to their length,
    which will not influence the cooking time."

This is her recipe for a Simple Rib Roast

4 1/2 pound without short ribs Standing rib roast (2 Ribs) or 26 Pound
    standing rib roast (7 ribs total) 2 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
    Kosher salt to taste Freshly ground black pepper 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups red
    wine for deglazing 1 recipe for Yorkshire pudding.

Roast should be at room temperature, not taken directly from the fridge.
    Place oven rack on the second level from the bottom. Heat oven to 500°F.

Place small roast in a 14 X 12 X2 inch roasting pan. bone side down. The
    large roast will need an 18 X 13 X 2 inch roasting pan. Snuggle most of the
    garlic, is using, under the fat and spread remainder under the meat.
    Season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes. With meat in
    oven, reduce heat to 325° and roast for an additional 3 minutes per pound.(
    i.e.: 4lb =12minutes, 7lb = 21 minutes, 26 lb =78 minutes)
    etc..Increase heat to 450°F and roast for another 15 minutes regardless of
    size. Meat temperature should read 135 on an instant - read thermometer.
    If you like it more rare, reduce the additional 3 minutes per pound to 2
    minutes or for less rare, increase the 3 minutes to 5 minutes.

Remove roast from oven. Transfer to a serving platter. Pour or spoon off
    excess fat, reserving about 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of fat. Put pan over high
    heat and add wine. Deglaze pan well scraping with a wooden spoon. Let
    reduce by half. Pour liquid into a small saucepan and reserve.

For Whole New York Strip Loin, the directions are a little bit different.

According to Barbara Kafka's instructions, it doesn't matter what size the New York strip roast is the directions are the same.

Roasted New York Strip Loin

one 10 pound New York Strip (16 inches) Trussed
    1 head of garlic
    cloves lightly smashed and peeled, optional
    3 to 4 springs fresh thyme
    kosher salt
    pepper
    1 1/2 cup basic beef stock or a combination of beef stock, veal stock or red wine
    2 tablespoons basic veal glaze optional.

Place oven rack on second level from the top of the oven, or second from the bottom if the fat cover is thick. Heat oven to 500°F.

Place strip of beef in an 18 x 12 x 2 inch roasting pan. If using, slip whole cloves of garlic between underside of meat and string. Tuck in the thyme. Slip some more garlic under the string along the top of the meat. Sprinkle the meat on all sides liberally with salt and pepper. Put into oven one hour before it will be served. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove and transfer meat to a platter. Cut off strings. Remove the garlic cloves that are too blackened to use. Pour fat from pan. Put the roasting pan on top of the stove. Add stock or wine and the veal glaze, if using and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add flavorings, if using, and any juices that have collected in the platter on which the beef is resting. Let reduce by half. Taste for salt and pepper, pour into a sauceboat and serve.

Roasted Whole beef Fillet

According to Barbara........"I buy the meat by the inch. It cooks exactly the same way no matter the length as long as it s more than 4 inches long. When ordering, I usually allow about an inch and a quarter per person and an extra half inch for the two end slices. By this rule, six people will require an eight inch piece of fillet. The muscles in a fillet all run lengthwise so that when it is sliced a crossed the serving it is also tenderized.

The fillet is also called the tenderloin, and it is tender. It is a long round muscle that hides behind the bones on which the shell steak and the rib roast reside. T-bone steaks have some of the shell and, on the other side of the bone, a circle of the fillet, or tenderloin. A filet mignon is a slice cut a crossed the whole fillet to make an individual steak.

4 to 5 pound whole beef fillet (about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter, a good 18 inches long)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup red wine for deglazing, optional, or 1 recipe semi-perigourdine sauce

Place oven rack on second level from bottom. heat oven to 500°F

Place fillet in an 18 x 12 x 2 inch roasting pan. Rub fillet with butter and oil. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. roast for 10 minutes. turn. roast 10 minutes more. Transfer fillet to a serving platter. Pour or spoon off excess fat. Put pan on top of the burner. Add the wine or sauce and bring contents to a boil while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Let reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper.

And if you have time, definitely presalt.

• trudy_gw
    15 years ago

This one is very easy. Photo is on the post of "What is your Christmas Menu.

PRIME RIB ROAST

Insert thin cut sliced garlic cloves into meat by inserting a thin bladed knife and pushing the garlic into the cut. The cut should be no deeper than 1 inch so the garlic can cook and seep juices into the meat. Liberally season the outside with olive oil, kosher salt and ground black pepper. Any seasoning will work, we have also used steak seasonings.

1. Bring rib roast to room temperature for 2-3 hours

2. Heat oven to 375

3. Place roast bone side down in open pan
      cook 1 hour

4. Turn oven for for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours
      DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR

5. Heat oven back to 375

BAKE 25 minutes for rare
      30 minutes for medium
      35 minutes for well done

6. Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing

Serve with Au jus and or horseradish sauce.

• trsinc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone! So many different ways, ugh! I like the sound of marinating in herbs for a couple days. I'm guessing some of the high heat methods won't work for that as the herbs would scorch. I'm glad I asked kind of early so I can make up my mind, lol.

Thank you again, everyone.

• sween
    15 years ago

My first rib roast was over thirty years ago. I did a textbook job of it and found that roasting times are largely crap. Sorry, but that's been my experience.

Through trial and error, and trying what seems like every "best recipe" out there, I settled on a largely low and slow approach to most beef roasts, rib or otherwise.

For starters, I give the roast fifteen minutes at 450F. From there, I crank the oven all the way back to 200-220F.

What you need more than anything else is time. If you go low and slow, double your roasting time. With such a low temp, you have loads of wiggle room on your side, almost entirely removing any chance for failure.

My only salting is of the fat on the roast, not the meat itself. Kosher salt rubbed into the fat will draw moisture from the fat and crisp it nicely.

One point, minor perhaps, perhaps not; prime is not a cut of beef, it is a grade of beef. A rib roast is not necessarily a "prime" rib roast. In fact, it seldom is. Prime beef is not easily found, and when it is, be prepared to pay big. My experience is that more and more supermarkets have dropped their beef from choice to select grade.

Right now, I have select rib in the oven, about six pounds. I would have preferred a choice roast but there was a four dollar a pound difference.

FWIW, one market in our area carries dry-aged prime beef. Price per pound is typically twenty to twenty-five dollars.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Here is another good one to check out at the link below. I've used this recipe several times. We love the the peppercorn crust.

Shaun, here is something yummy you can do with those bones. Ruthanna shared this long ago and it is a favorite of mine.

· Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Thu, Dec 19, 02 at 11:20
    This isn't the answer to your question but be sure to save the bones and the next night, you can have Devilled Beef Bones for dinner. Rub bones with cut garlic cloves, then sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and rub it in. Spread on both sides with a spicy good-quality prepared mustard. Roll ribs in fine dry bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crumbs form a crispy coating and meat is warmed through. Serve with plenty of napkins.

David

• femmelady
    15 years ago

I checked with my husband who's been making it all his life (well his adult life). He salts and peppers, and starts high (425) for 15 minutes to seal in the juices, and then brings it down to slow (200-225) to caramalize and melt the fat slowly inside. It's very important to not overcook, and equally important to rest it for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour after you pull it to let the juices absorb back into the meat.

We have a ROAST BEAST this year. 8 ribs - I swear it's 16-18 inches wide! I just can't wait. Bruce makes his own beef stock from bones throughout the year that we'll use for the au jus, and I make Yorkshire pudding from the fat as the prime rib renders. Oh and horseradish! Honestly, I can hardly wait!! Many years ago, we served prime rib at the restaurant where I worked and I've loved it ever since.

My Christmas table is already set and ready for the holiday feast. Good luck on your roast. Once you go this route, you'll do it every year. Merry Christmas!

• jen9
    15 years ago

we also have a prime rib roast every year &, in addition to the horseradish sauce & au jus, I sometimes make a port wine reduction, which everyone seems to really enjoy.
    In addition to the above, we slit the meat in several places & insert a clove of garlic.