SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Tankless water heater sizing

Cloud Swift
14 years ago

Our 50 gallon gas (tank) water heater has died. When we went to replace it, we ran into various problems. For one thing, a 50 gallon Energy Star unit won't fit in the water heater closet. We didn't want to go smaller because the master bath has a large tiled tub that the 50 gallon will just fill. Then we ran into other issues - various items in the old installation that will need to be changed or upgraded to meet current code.

So now we are thinking of putting in a tankless water heater. We realize that means running a new gas line, but it isn't far from the gas meter and it solves some of the other installation problems. It looks like our existing venting will work, but if it didn't, we are in a 1 story and putting in a new vent shouldn't be a big deal.

But I'm not sure what size we should use. This water heater just serves two and a half baths - two tub/showers and 5 sinks. The rest of the house is on another water heater. The showers have low flow heads. We are in the Sacramento area - I'm not sure how cold the intake water gets in winter - it may get down to 40 degrees.

5 gallons a minute probably does it for running the two showers or filling a bath tub. Usually we don't have someone taking a bath at the same time as someone is taking a shower. I'm concerned that if I go up in size enough to allow for a bath faucet to be filling at the same time as the other shower is being used, the flow for running a sink faucet won't be enough to turn on the heater.

Should I figure for a 70 degree temperature rise to produce 110 degree water with a 40 degree input? We use to run the old tank water heater at around 130-140 degrees to ensure that it didn't run out when multiple showers were taken in sequence, but I'm assuming that we can run a tankless at a lower output temp since it won't run out and since that eases the sink faucet flow issue.

We would like to make a decision quickly since the old water heater was already taken out when the issues were discovered.

Comments (16)