SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

New water heater - size? Consider tankless?

kksmama
16 years ago

We're replacing the builder model 50 gallon gas (propane) unit. We have four children and live in Tampa, it has been adequate because we don't take very hot or long showers and we have an energy efficient dishwasher and clothes washer. But we had a household disaster, and to replace/paint the drywall in the garage requires resetting the hot water heater - it is 8 years old and rusted on the bottom, so we think it is best to replace it now.

As the children grow, our hot water demands are increasing. More washing of dishes, clothes, teenage faces.

What size should we get? I'd like to consider tankless and would pay more if I knew there was a payback over the long term, we have no intention of moving out of this house.

The other appealing thing would be no big tank of water sitting on the other side of the wall from my new, again, wood floors. The downside of course is the upfront expense - and hassle of installation. I don't really have the energy or enthusiasm for shopping with everything else going on, but hate to miss the opportunity to do something smarter, greener, more practical, etc. Purchasing a tank seems sooo convenient. Thanks for any guidance. These forums are the greatest!

Comments (8)