SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noebee1313

Layout Gurus-- lay it on me!!!

noebee1313
13 years ago

So, I'm hoping to get some feedback on my latest floor plan. A couple months ago, I go t a lot of help here, but have decided to go in a different direction with the orientation of my kitchen and "dining room."

A quick run-down-- this will be a complete gut of our current dining room (which we use as a play room) and our current kitchen and eating area. I'm not going to post our current floor plan because its very confusing, and a wall and a door are being removed.... instead, here is the new floor plan, empty:

I am the only cook. I have two small children (2 and 5) who love to "help" but DH doesn't interfere in the kitchen. He does the clean up :) So I need the space to function when the kids are helping me, and in the chance that DH is loading or unloading the dishwasher while I'm prepping or cooking. I honestly don't think there is a way to have 2 sinks without losing tons of prep space.

I know some of the details are a bit wonky, and I'm still working on those, but I wonder if this layout seems functionable. I added in the tall pantry and second sinlge oven recently, and kind ofdig the idea of having them out of the main prep area. I didn't think I could fit a second oven!!

Other things you should know--

1. the "oven and pantry wall" backs up to the woodstove in our livingroom, and a stone wall, so there is no chance of this being a plumbing wall.

2. I think the dishwasher and trash could be swapped (in the first plan), but worry about having the dishwasher so close to the range AND in the middle of the room which will be awkward when open. Will having 15ish inches of prep between my stove and sink drive me crazy?? I think I'd be happy prepping either on the penninsula or in the corner over the DW. (Currently I prep to the right of the stove, and yes, its between the range and sink.)

3. we have a large extended family that we see a LOT. Currently we have only about 6 squished seats in the kitchen. And no room around the table for people to walk around it. I'm hoping to be able to seat at least 8 even if its a little tight.

4. My current eating area has two major traffic patterns through and around it. I don't want to move the table anywhere that puts a major traffic pattern running through or around it.... next to one side is fine.

So what I seem to be leaning towards is this:

But my floor plan just before I got to that one looks like this: (and its kinda rough, sorry.)

SO.... whats the verdict?? Which floor plan makes more sense? And what would you tweak??

I am driving myself crazy rethinking and rethinking and rethinking!!

Thanks!!!

Comments (47)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the second one, because I wouldn't want to have my back to the kitchen, while I'm sitting at the banquette. Also, without a higher backsplash, I'd be worried something might slip off the counter, onto a person sitting at the banquette.

The second plan has the extra room for stools (which I love) the banquette seems much friendlier...and I like the placement of the cooktop MUCH better.

One of the few things I would change with plan 2, is to switch the sink and dishwasher. This would center the sink more under the window and make it easier for you to work/prep, while DH is loading the DW :)

If the trash pullout is a problem, put a small one under the sink and another one on the peninsula, or between the fridge and stove. Why have all the garbage at the sink, since it's usually a busy enough traffic area, already?

The only other difference that I can see, is that you don't have the wall oven and pantry area, with plan 2. If that area is really important to you, put the wall oven, where the buffet is now...and shorten the peninsula (with one less stool) as in plan 1. The pantry could go there, but I'd rather have a little landing area next to the oven (maybe microwave above the oven or counter) so the kids can easily set stuff down, where they're helping.

The desk area is really large. That could be part dish storage (especially with glass uppers) and even put a pantry storage on either side. You could easily put two 18" pantries (or pantry and broom closet) with a 48" desk and have the hutch/display space above.

It all comes down to which choices are most important for you and your family...and remember, laptops would work great at the banquette, so a wireless router may solve a lot of your desk issues :)

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I favor the one that is on the bottom, with the 3 stools and the rectangle banquette. I find it much more pleasing visually, and more functional.

What I like:
    There is room for 3 workers in the kitchen at once. One in corner by fridge, one between sink and stovetop, and one on the 36 inch counter. This is important as your kids grow up. If you don't have space for multiple cooks/helpers, then your kids won't get the same opportunities to help and learn in the kitchen (and you will doom yourself to all the work by yourself for ever and ever)

There is room to add a very large temp dining space for occasional use. You could easily have your current table and another banquet or card table and have enough floor space for lots of guests.

There is space for 1 child and friend at the counter, and another child and friend at the table. This becomes important once your kids get into grade school and do those group projects.

Tweaks and ideas:

Consider a 36 inch range, or cooktop with wall oven below. If you have a larger 36 inch range, it gives lots of room.

You could fashion the desk to be able to serve as a buffet for occasional entertaining, and then have the pantry where you have the buffet now.

Think of the desk area as the crash pad, unless you are going to be able to do the mudroom very soon. Put in extra plugs for phone chargers and I would have a drawer stack with 1 drawer for each person in the family. I know your kids are young, but they grow fast. We did our kitchen when the kids were in grade school....before you knew it we had 4 phone chargers, 4 sets of house keys, you get the idea.

I would make sure to have an outlet that is accessible from the table, and another from the island, and another from the buffet. Kids are using laptops for projects, and they need to plug them in.

Basically, design the kitchen for 4 adults. And kiss those babies...mine are both in college now and I miss them.

• Related Discussions

Hello Kitchen Gurus! Will you help me with my layout?

Q

Comments (6)
    Have you thought through the paths that food will take within the kitchen from arrival to storage to prep to cooking to plating, etc. It seems to me that you have paths that will cross and double-back on themselves. That will make your kitchen less efficient and more likely to have conflicts as you make a meal. You do have quite a hike from fridge to sink and back to stove. Where do you eat your meals, in the DR? Have you considered having two sinks: one as clean-up on the DR side of the prep/cooking zones, w dish storage nearby; the other located closer to food storage zone or enroute from there and closer to the range. Your butler's pantry sink is not going to serve either of these needs, though useful on its own for other purposes. Although overlooked by many, and clearly not as fun as thinking about styling issues, for me the essential first step in kitchen planning is thinking about the food & work pathways. If you get those as right as possible (there is rarely perfection) then no matter what else you do in the kitchen it will be fab since it will work so well. Right now, your plan has the three main things the fridge/food storage, the sink and the range out of order. You'd have to walk from the fridge, past the stove to the sink to rinse the carrots before trekking back to the range to cook them. Then back to sink to add (and later to drain) water to the pot. You are correct to be wondering where to store the dishes. If they are stored near the present sink location then you'd have to walk back to there to get a dish, before schlepping the plate past the stove where the carrots were cooked, onward to the DR, etc. Using the outlines of the space that you have, start by thinking through where the food will arrive, be stored, be prepped (with easy access to water) cooked, plated and served. Then where the plates will come back from where ever the food was eaten to be cleaned and leftovers stowed. Think about whether you will be going out through the french doors for outdoor grilling. Forget, for the moment, the notion that sinks need windows. Keep in mind that ranges need direct, or easy upward venting. Some people with young children like to have a fridge near the DR. Just ponder the food flow, then afterward walk through in your mind each step in a dozen or so commonly prepared meals. Every time you have to double back make a note of it, when and why. Use those notes to smooth the paths out. HTH, L.
    ...See More

Kitchen layout gurus -- would love your comments, advice!

Q

Comments (23)
    Lavender - thanks for the layout and granite feedback! Rhome -- thanks for your layout ideas (and forgive me for not calling on you specifically for advice, you obviously know what you're talking about!) My question was about the upper cabinets -- @lavender, I am SO looking forward to our new lazy susan base. It will have an adjustable shelf with the lazy susan attached (so no center pole to interfere with objects) and I can make the top shelf taller for appliances, and the lower shelf shallower for bowls, etc. As for the uppers, the plan currently includes a cabinet opening fully on the sink wall, abutting a blind corner cabinet, opening on the range wall, that goes into the corner. My KD said that she could change the design to a 90-degree-opening shelf, like this: Rhome, you're right that the cabinet sizes would change -- the KD suggested using 21" uppers on either side of the range for symmetry (which would necessitate changing the lower tray cabinet to 9" instead of 12"). I still think it might be worth it for the increased access to the corner space. We currently have an angled cabinet, and everything gets lost in it -- I just pulled out a 4 year old cake mix last night! Never again!! The KD insists that we don't need a filler between the pantry and fridge, but I'm not convinced. The Kitchen Aid CD French Door doors swivel somewhat when they open, so I'm not as concerned with a problem when they fridge is opened -- I am more concerned with not being able to open the pantry doors fully to access the pull-outs.
    ...See More

Help with Kitchen Layout from the Gurus?

Q

Comments (9)
    I like the suggestions, blfenton. That lower left area should become useful space. Wall oven? Cookbook shelves? Workspace with pullout chopping/work board? For a multi-cook kitchen, be sure you think about children becoming adults. They take more space than you might think. If your kids are active in cooking and if you give parties, plan for space of 4 adults minimum. You will need at least 2 sinks and you will need at least 2 work triangles anchored at the range and refrig plus work spaces away from the main theater of battle. Wholesale change here...Put cooktop on island at current sink position (centered on fireplace with dramatic? ordinary? hood above) and move that refrig as suggested. If you put one-bowl sink near refrig on outer wall and double cleanup sink on opposite end of the outer wall in same position, you'd have plunk space either side of sinks, lots of space between sinks and behind the range person, and a straight shot from dining area to the dishwasher zone next to the cleanup sink. Main prep zone would be to right of current range position; secondary prep zones on many sides of island. You would lose the potential for fancy hearth-style range treatment but you'd gain efficiency. This also puts the grocery bags near the front door (if that's the primary entrance for them) and if that is a larder pantry, it puts food offload there also and refrig is right there. Personally I'd restrict the island depth and increase space between the island and outer wall. Five foot aisle? If you need an idea for using wasted space inside the island, remember table leaf storage.
    ...See More

Please help !! Attn: all lay-out guru's

Q

Comments (27)
    This is me, again feeling anxious and bummed :( !! We just spent $4k moving the water htr, & W/D down so we could put a door into the den for access to laundry. I thought about putting it in the den area inside. It would have made more sense. But was in doubt because of the entry to the den is in the LR. you can see better what I mean in the pic. Now though, after all this $ spent, the den is no longer a room to flop because there is no where to put any furniture w/out congesting an entry! Ergggggg. Would have made sense to do what you suggested and made it a laundry/mudroom. This is why I am pleading for suggestions for the other areas (LR/kitchen/add-on) because I do not want an even larger costly mistake! I am beginning to hate this house and feel very guilty about that (could be a whole different blog). I REALLY would like to fix it to sell, but DH sees it totally differently and not a fan of change (another blog) ...so, moving is out. Its just that this plan has always been so hard for me to live in and almost 22yrs later- I am the closest I have ever been to changing it. I just cannot, for the life of me, find a plan (yet) that I am happy with! The biggest prob is the main door entry. It is in a terribly awkward place and cannot be moved because of the way the driveway is. I am torn btwn living w/the entry/LR as is, and refocusing on the kitchen, adding-on to the back. I am riddled w/angst, this project has been on my mind for 22yrs and now is beginning to consume most of daily life! I wish it were easier, I want to have the joy I used to in the first few yrs looking forward to making it better. Now is seems, that the "thrill is (just about) gone" and I am not a happy camper. DH says, "ya- if we had all the $ we wanted, we could do what we want to the house" - dont' we all wish? I have tried the Sweeby test. made me more angst about the floor plan. Thanks for listening. . . .
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    13 years ago

2nd one is better. Swap the dw and trash, so trash is handy to cleanup and cooking/prep.

Looking at the first plan, I was going to suggest moving fridge to oven spot, putting range where fridge is, and putting extra oven in the section to the right of the suggested range spot.
    OR
    Put the fridge where oven/pantry is, sink and dw where the fridge is, and create a baking center with oven under the window.

It seems like in #2, if you gave up peninsula seating, you might be able to get more kitchen and more room for the table seating.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I LIKE the second one in part because I would be very unhappy with such little space on either side of the range as shown in number 1. As said before... swap DW and trash but instead of a blind cab... why not a 24" after the DW that opened to teh eating side. Then you would have room for another 24" stack and the 36".

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Do you have enough storage space in either of these configurations? The desk seems to take up a lot of space that might be better allocated to something else. Plus, you have a table right there that could be used for paying bills, homework, etc.

Option #2 seems tight to me. Maybe as Rhome suggested if you got rid of the peninsula, you could gain more seating. Do the windows start above counter height? If so, you could eliminate the peninsula, continue with additional cabinetry on that back wall, have the banquette, and then put some additional cabinetry on the right side of the banquette. Hope that makes sense. If you do something like this, I might slide the sink to the right somewhat, to eliminate the DW bottleneck with the range. Just imagine if someone was at the range, needed to use the sink, but someone was emptying the DW at the same time.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Do you have any flexibility on the door placement between the kitchen and the living/family room? What I'm thinking is moving the opening all the way over to the right (across from the peninsula), so you have a longer stretch to work with on the bottom wall of the kitchen, and that stretch is protected from any kind of walkway except at the very end of the run. (Anyone coming in from the FR comes in at the edge of the kitchen rather than near the middle.)

I don't know if that helps the layout, but IF it's an option, it might give you more flexibility for placement of fridge, oven, etc. It also gives you a longer stretch of wall in the FR, which might give you more flexibility with furniture arrangement there.

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you to all of you!! As always, this forum, and its millions of minds at work, come up with great things.

Lavender-- I would have never thought about things falling off the penninsula onto the banquette... or spilling there. Good point. I think I would put the wall oven into the second plan-- it was actually drawn first before I thought about a second oven. And the desk area will probably become more of a storage area with a place for a chair to be pushed in, but not really a conventional desk. We do wireless internet now, so we don't "need" any sort of desk, but currently our island and dining table is the drop zone for paperwork/junk/mail, etc. and I'd like to change that and keep the drop zone (ie. piles of crap) out of the new kitchen area. -- I do like the idea to put pantry space down at that end!!

Julie-- thanks for reminding me that as my kids get bigger they will inevitably take up more space. (no sarcasm-- really!) I guess the fact that they squeeze next to me in a 24" prep area (thats pretty much all I've really got!) and share one stool has sorta blinded me to how much space I'll actually want in a few years :) You've definately hit on a few of my "secret" ideas-- using the desk occasionally as a buffet, allowing it to also be a dump/crash zone (which is why its close to the mudroom/garage) and allowing for plenty of outlets in places the kids --or us! may sit with a laptop.
    We are planning on a 36" range, since I often use all 4 of my burners while making dinner and think more space will be great, even if its only a 5 burner, not 6. I wish a 36" double oven was available where the ovens weren't both on the small side, because I would love to be able to have 2 different temps going without having to add an oven cabinet and second oven. Its expensive!! ;) I can only imagine how fast time has flown since your college-age kids were little like mine.

Rhome-- I'll add these ideas to my giant notebook full of floor plans... I really think this space could work a lot of different ways, I just have to find one that feels right to me. Thanks for the great input-- I know you have a great eye for this sort of thing.

remodelfla-- the idea to turn the corner cabinet into a cabinet facing the other way is SO great!! And something I probably wouldn't have come up with onmy own, but now that you mention it, I feel like I should say "duh!" LOL. Blind corners and lazy susans have their place, but not having to do 3 of them will be much better!!

mahl-- surprisingly there is waaaaay more storage in both of these kitchens compared to my current set-up. I have 4 lowers cabinets, and 3 uppers, no more than 24" wide-- most of my uppers are 18"-21". The desk is taking up a lot of real estate.... so it will probably be reworked into a smaller desk area and pantries, or bookcases or what-have-you, but it does need tweaking.

Chicagoans-- unfortunately that little short wall is the backside of our hearth where our fireplace is, so I think we need to leave it there for code reasons. It can be no smaller than 44" because thats what it is currently. I think its a bummer too. The other wall that is next to it, and measures 72"in the drawing, is currently 90" and the doorway is 46", so we could keep the current dimensions, but we were hoping to open it up just a bit to improve flow and make the interior spaces feeling less boxed in. There are a LOT of doorways/windows, etc in this plan and most of them aren't movable. Besides the lowest left-hand wall, there is only the farthest window on the right-side of these plans, as currently there is a double french door to the back yard there that we plan on making into a single wndow, and it could slide down.

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and my last question, since it was mentioned. Is the penninsula appropriate landing space for the wall oven?? I imagine pulling stuff out and putting it down on the end of the counter behind me. Is that realistic?? And the oven is also in the traffic lane. Usually it gets opened and shut quickly, so I don't really see this being a problem, but would love imput on that aspect too.
    thanks!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Many people will tell you this is not a problem, but I think (and this is just my opinion) that it is much easier to have a landing space next to the oven...even if it's only 18". It will also be much easier for the kids to help you.

Also, if you're taking something out of the oven, and one of the little ones decides they have to dart through at that particular moment, you can set the hot (and possibly heavy) pan down next to the oven...not stand there, in mid spin, trying not to spill it on the person darting behind you. Again, just my opinion :)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Have you tried a layout where the kitchen is over next to the future mudroom and the eating area adjoins the living room by any chance?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

That might be a possibility. Seems like we looked at that last time, but I wonder if we could tuck the banquette in to that 'southwest' corner (where the fridge/cooktop are in plan #2) and make that whole 'north' window wall cabinetry. Maybe an island across the middle...running 'west to east' with stools? You'd still have that corner, for the fridge and wall oven/microwave. Maybe the pantry by the basement stairs? Let me play around with this and I'll try to post something :)

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

palimpsest & lavender-- I have tried a couple layouts on the 'east' side of the space... I don't think I've done it right yet :) I'd love ideas and suggestions, to see if it could work. I'm open to anything!!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Sometimes, you just have to try all kinds of different layouts, combine a few...and finally find one you love!

Buehl should be back tomorrow, too! Hopefully, you'll get many wonderful ideas :)

I'm trying to save your floor plan, but it keeps ending up all 'squished' down, so it's about 1/4 as tall as it should be. Anyway, I'll just dig out the graph paper and start over...I should have something done by tomorrow morning. Have a great evening!

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Lavender!! Its funny, I have a graph paper notebook with probably 100 floor plans and tweaks in it... can't seem to figure out what I want. Either the traffic walks a lot through the dining area.or a lot through the kitchen. And the uninterupted wall on the west side either is lots of cabinets, or a long wall for dining. I can't seem to figure out what works best for me, although ANYTHING at this point is an improvement on the original :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- I tried the island, but it didn't fit, so I went back to the peninsula. I like this plan, which is not all that different than your plan, but flipped...and the fridge, wall oven and microwave have their own little corner.

I did put in two sinks...one under the window, with trash on the right, dishwasher on the left...and one on the peninsula, for prep work. I put it on the end, to give you as much space as possible. The cooktop has upper cabinets on each side, with a small upper cabinet, to the right of the main sink.

The shallow pantry (about 12" deep) is between the stairs and the family room, with your banquette under the window. It should easily fit 8 people...and I put your pantry (broom closet?) desk area back in, with possible dish/display storage, above. I think glass uppers (maybe lit) would really give you a nice focal point.

Added bonus...now you see the banquette from the family room, not the dishes! I hope this gives you some good ideas :)

{{gwi:1724356}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oops! Meant to add that the main sink will make a great place for hand washing (in case you don't have a sink in the mud room) without getting into your prep space. Also, the fridge/microwave will make a nice snack area, especially as the kids get older :)

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender-- I like it! Thanks for your help :) Do you think the doors of the fridge opening into the hallway are an issue?? it seems no matter where I put it, it swings into a walkway. And is the dishwasher too far from the dining area? If you don't think these are huge issues, this plan may become my #1.

Anyone else with thoughts????

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- I don't think the fridge swings open all that wide, unless you're cleaning it. Do you already have your fridge (I'm on the wrong page to check) and is it a side by side? If you like this set up...maybe one that swings open towards the counter would be better? Maybe with the freezer on the bottom? Just an idea...

As for the dishwasher, no I don't think it's too far away, but I'm used to having my even further away, from the table. If you're not prepping, you could put dishes on the peninsula...or put the dishwasher at the peninsula and make the other sink your prep area. It's up to you, what will best suit your family and your situation.

I'm glad you like it! :) Hopefully, Buehl and others can stop by with their ideas...and some much nicer software!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Why do I always think of something else, right after I hit the 'submit' button? LOL

I remember reading on another post that Rhome or Buehl (think it was Buehl) said most people spend 20% of their time with clean up and 70% prepping. If that's the case, maybe the prep sink on the peninsula would work better.

Again, I'm hoping some of the 'gurus' will stop by and give you their opinion :)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I'm trying to reveiw everything! But I do have to work today as well! I'm working on it during breaks.

As to %-ages.... 70% of the time spent working in the kitchen is spent prepping
    20% is spent cleaning up
    10% is spent cooking

If you want the best view/location for the majority of your time/work in the kitchen, focus on your Prep Zone since that's where you will spend the majority of your time.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

(review) Sheesh...and I have a "spell check" on my browser! (It helps if you don't ignore it!)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- What finishes do you plan to use, in your new kitchen? I'm sure you've mentioned them before, but I thought I'd ask, anyway :)

Do you have any inspiration pictures? Cabinetry and countertops? Floor? Any ideas for the backsplash, behind the cooktop (nice focal point)? How about window treatments, fabrics on banquette? Was there anything else you've always really wanted, but haven't been able to include?

Anything special for DH or the kids? Maybe a grill option with the range, or pull out steps for 'little helpers'? Oh, and invest in some really good-quality stools, if you end up with the peninsula (which I really like). I used to sell furniture, while in school...and top heavy stools are the worst! Try to find some that are heavier on the bottom, so climbing children are less likely to cause the stools to tip over. Outdoor fabrics can be great for kids...and adults, too (LOL)

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender-- I don't have any "true" inspiration pics, but my thoughts are:
    Medium-dark stained lower cabinets (either maple or QS Oak) so the kids and dogs can't as easily destroy them. I worry about painted lowers getting quickly ruined. And the uppers will be a creamy yellow color. Our kitchen faces entirely North, and even though there are quite a few windows, its usually a little dreary, especially this time of year and when everything outside is covered in snow. I want the two main colors in the kitchen to be yellow and red-- farmhousey colors. I defiantely am not afraid of color. In fact my daughters room is the color you want for your kitchen!!

This is a picture of the color of the upper cabinets I like:
    {{gwi:1724357}}

and one with the right color for the base cabinets:

Backsplash will be decided later, though I like white subway tile and might just leave it painted.

Nothing special planned for the kids or DH-- just want it to be inviting for them, and easy for us all to function in-- right now there is really only room for me to be in the kitchen, anyone else just crowds it terrible and we all end up bumping into each other.

I also plan on doing soapstone countertops DIY. -- wish us luck on that! Our floors will be wood like the rest of the house-- Austrailian cypress, like these:

Hopefully it all comes together the way I imagine :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- That will be beautiful! I think your red and yellow color scheme will be perfect for your long winters. I agree, even with a lot of light, you need some warm colors, in a north facing room.

I remember that your daughter's room is turquoise. Does she have pink and purple with it? That's my niece's 'current' favorite color combination...along with some lime green!

One idea, if your prep sink is about a foot from the edge of your peninsula, you could tuck a couple of bookshelves underneath for cookbooks.

If that will be too dusty, how about some shallow drawers for the kids? It's great to have a place of their own for their cookie cutters, small muffin pans, little bread pans, etc. I don't know if that's something you've done yet, but my grandmother had all that stuff for all the grandkids...and we loved it! There's nothing more fun for a young baker or cook, than to have their own 'tools' in their own special spot! Just an idea :)

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender-- I like that idea for the kids!! I bought kid-sized kitchen tools (a whisk and silicone spatulas) for them for Easter. Maybe small muffins pans and cookie cutters should be onmy list of things to look for too. We do have a lot of dust in the winter from the woodstove, so drawers would be better than shelves.

My daughters room has white trim, and dark raspberry-ish pink curtains, as well as a lighter pink rug. Her bedding is flowers-- bright grass green, lemon yellow, that same pink and a little more teal/turquoise. Its bright, but beautiful. I bet orange would look smashing too.

As far as putting the kitchen into the "East" side of the room, when I put in the fridge and 30" wide oven cabinet, that lower South East corner becomes quite tight, so I would forgo the extra oven. I also don't think there is as much cabinet space as the kitchen in the "West" side of the room since the west wall is uninterupted without windows or doors, allowing for more uppers. I don't think these few things would really matter to me, but as I imagine myself in the two spaces, I like the kitchen closer to the family room, and also prefer that the main traffic lanes-- from garage/mudroom --> living room and backyard--> downstairs bathroom/laundry-room wouldn't run right through the middle of the kitchen. So I'm back to leaning towards the kitchen on the west side of the room.

I'll try to post a tweaked layout soon!!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- I like your option #2...and if you wanted a second oven (which is nice sometimes) you could put an undercounter oven, in the peninsula. That would make the peninsula a great baking area, with the kids sitting at the stools, to help.

After what Buehl said, it sounds like your prep is going to be where you are most often, so I don't know if you want to prep, between the sink and range, or on the peninsula...maybe both? I think the dishwasher should be on the side of the sink, where you plan to do your prep work the least, so it's not open and in the way, while you're working. Of course, if DH always cleans up AFTER you finish in the kitchen, that's not really a problem :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- As I said, this is very similar to your option #2.

Maybe something like this? I made the fridge wall a bit longer (making your family room entrance a bit smaller) but it gives you more room for the fridge and a microwave on a shelf, next to it.

The range is moved up a bit, making room for a prep sink, between the fridge and cooktop. The main sink is centered under the big window, with trash on the left and dishwasher on the right.

On the peninsula, I added an undercounter oven, for baking with the kids. I think this will make a wonderful baking center, with the kids working at the stools, rather than standing on a step stool.

Hope this gives you some more ideas :)

{{gwi:1724359}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

So, something like this, but reversed...yellow on top, wood on the bottom? I think the soapstone will look great with that...but the marble is pretty, too :)

Where are you using your red...mainly on the banquette and accessories?

{{gwi:1724360}}

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes lavender!! When I saw you post the baking center I thought-- those are my colors!! And yes, red probably on the banquette/accessories... maybe even paint on an accent wall.
    This is the outside of our house-- we are halfway through a re-siding project, that will resume when the snow is gone (soon I hope!) This is the first side we finished...

You can see a glimps of the green color that was the original color on the front of the house that have yet to be ripped down. So the yellow color is sort of the inspiration for the kitchen, only "faded." I want the red to be sort of a barn red.
    This is the front last spring-(an idea of what the house looked like before the siding changed.)

Now the front is finished and we have a cute little porch too, right in front of the door. the front of the garage will be stone, so that still needs to get done, but its nice to drive down the driveway to a pretty house!! I need an updated picture of the front!!

So this is our money-sucking project of the moment that needs to be finished before we can tackle the kitchen. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of the summer.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like the yellow siding...very cheerful :)

Well, I was hoping we'd have more ideas, by now, for your kitchen layout. I think Buehl is still working on something, so maybe you'll have some new plans, by this weekend!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

OK....here are two. I've got a third in the works, but I'm out of time. (It's been Very, Very Busy for me this week, that's why it's taken me so long!)

My favorite is #1 b/c of the work zones. However, they both have pluses & minuses. (As will the third I'm working on.)

[Sorry they're so big; but when I made them smaller, the lines & text were no longer legible.]

With Zones marked

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

No chance that mudroom door can move down the wall,is there?

Having had a walk-through kitchen with doors to garage and front step, I can vouch for how awkward this is. If the table/kitchen traffic and the mudroom traffic did not intersect, that would be good.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

What about Layout #2 with the MW and ovens and Fridge all over to the right and the message center between the basement door and the LR/FR door

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha, the mudroom door can be any size, but can't be further "south" on the wall than the 60" mark. So I can tweak it a little to allow the traffic flow to move further around the table.

Palimpsest-- that would make more sense I think.

Buehl-- THANK you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! Fresh eyes and new perspectives are always helpful. I think I like layout #1 the best. I love that even though you're busy you can come up with two totally beautiful plans. Enjoy your weekend!!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I tried that...no landing zone for the ovens (or refrigerator) unless you make a "corner" with cabinets. I think I was able to fit just a 12" counter. Maybe it's enough, but it wouldn't be for me...

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

How about #2 with the fridge and the ovens switched. I think that might be better than having the ovens standing alone between doorways. Might need to shorten the peninsula or go to CD fridge.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Nice plans, Buehl! I like the first plan, but I wish there was room for a few stools, for the kids, as they get older. The second plan has the stools, but the walkway goes through the kitchen. It's a tough challenge!

Looking forward to seeing plan 3. Maybe you can figure out a way to get everything Noelle would like to fit into her space. It would be great to work in a snack center, for when the kids are older, too...but where to put it?

Noelle, could the entrance between the kitchen and family room be a little smaller? Maybe 48" to 54" instead of 64"? That might make a big difference, as to what will fit on that wall where the oven is, in plan 1. Just an idea :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- I don't know if that last plan I drew, had anything you liked on it, or not...but I just realized the measurements were wrong. I thought that banquette looked too small!

Anyway, here it is again. Even if the layout doesn't work (or doesn't actually fit...especially the fridge, microwave and prep sink) I thought I'd repost it for some of the details...and the second oven is under the counter, on the peninsula.

Over by the mudroom door, I added a bookcase for cookbooks, on the side closest to the windows (12" deep and you have 15" of space). On each side of the desk/display area above, there is a pantry on one side and broom closet on the other. The pantry could also be storage for printer, paper, files, etc. The broom closet makes a great place to store cleaners (on top shelf) away from the kids.

I also added a bulletin board, message center, for calender, emergency numbers, etc. It's close to the desk, but easy to reach and change things...you might even want to use some blackboard paint and put a message area for the kids. They could draw on it, too :)

{{gwi:1724367}}

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buehl-- I agree that some sort of landing area is necessary for the ovens. The window farthest to the east side of the room could be adjusted to the left, and the sink moved along with it, but I don't know if corner cabinets & countertop would look silly there.
    I do think I like the idea of a penninsula for the kids-- it keeps them out of the way, but still "in" the kitchen, and will be handy for homework/projects/laptops later on.

Lavender-- the doorway can be made smaller between the livingroom and kitchen, but I think we'd like the house to feel a little more open, since its very boxy and cut off feeling right now. But it would make sense to fit what I need and see how much space is left. I do really like the idea of the undercounter oven on the penninsula.
    I'm also thinking that over by the mudroom, instead of a desk area, making it a bar-type area with a second sink (since that wall backs up the the laundry room and already has plumbing in it.) That would give me another sink for handwashing, and a place to leave veggies when they come in from the garden. Also, a nice place during parties or family get togethers for beverages an coffee. There could be display and storage space and maybe even a small undercounter fridge. If I put a small microwave here it could become a snack center too. Does that sound brillaint or crazy?? :)

I also like Buehl's layout #1, and maybe the oven could be under the counter in that same spot, and then the dw/second sink area could be tweaked into a penninsula?? In that same plan, we could make the fridge wall 60" and add a 24" cabinet or pantry next to it.

any thoughts??

• azlee6574
    13 years ago

You ladies are great. I am new to the site and wondering, Buehl - what software did you use to come up with the drawings?

Noebee - good luck with your kitchen. I think the bar seating is important with kids so I would try to ensure that it is in whatever layout you go with.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I think the idea of a second sink, over by the dining area, is brilliant! It would make a great place to wash hands and veggies...and the beverage/snack center (with the undercounter fridge) would be wonderful, especially when you have family and friends visiting.

You could absolutely add the 2' of counter space, next to the fridge (maybe put the counter to the 'east' and add the microwave...so it's close to the beverage/snack area, but still close to the fridge and kitchen work area, too. The only 'negative' and it's not that big a one...would be that with the fridge on that wall, your peninsula is not going to be as big. Maybe 5' (after leaving room for the fridge and walkway) but you could still fit two stools there, just not three.

The oven under the counter, would give you more space and would make a great baking center. Maybe have your baking supplies in the corner, between the oven and range? I think it sounds like a great plan! :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- Here's a quick sketch, showing the fridge and microwave. I didn't add the third sink, on the peninsula...I just don't know if there's enough room. With the dishwasher on the other side, at least it's not interfering with your cooking area, and the peninsula does make a great place to pile dinner dishes. The rest of the time, it would make a great prep/baking with the kids area.

I put the microwave next to the fridge, but you could put it in the snack/beverage area. However, if you only have one microwave, this might be a good central location.

Hope this gives you some more ideas...and maybe Buehl will be back today, with option #3. This would sure look better, with her software! :)

{{gwi:1724368}}

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender-- yes! That is what I'm thinking.... although the MW could go way over in the bar area, I hardly ever use the one I have now, so it being out of the way would be fine.
    Now I just need to decide which of the two locations I like the undercounter oven in... which of course changes the position of the fridge and the number of counter stools. I'd like to see Buehl's layout #3 too. She's such a great help here on GW!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

What kind of fridge are you planning to get? Is it a side by side, or a single swing? If it's side by side, it might be easier to use, with the peninsula behind you. If it's just swing one way, then it would work well, in either location.

The only other thing to think about...how much does an undercounter oven stick out? Is it the same as a regular range? Is the hande sticking out? Maybe it would be better, over on the far wall, if you are bumping against it, while working at the peninsula. (This was my concern, when I was thinking about one for my island, but I changed my plan, before I went to look at the ovens.)

The microwave, over with the second sink and undercounter fridge, is going to make a wonderful snack area! Great beverage area, too, for parties and family get togethers :)

• noebee1313
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm leaning towards a french door fridge, so the penninsula behind it would be nice, although close to the corner I figure the other side of the "L" would be the drop area for the fridge.
    And you make a good point about the oven handle sticking out. It may be best tucked into the corner, like in Buehl's plan.
    Any luck in your appliance search?? The little I've looked into slide-in ovens has surprised me. I had no idea how expensive they are!! And for only a low end brand, not even looking at Miele or Wolf. Crazy... I'll have to be on the lookout for deals!!!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Usually, I like a landing counter, next to the fridge, but if it's a french door, then I've read that a peninsula or island behind them, work really well.

Having an undercounter oven, where Buehl has the oven in option 1, would be even better, than a raised oven...in that you would have more counter space and upper cabinets. It would also be easier to reach the upper cabinets in that corner, with the undercounter oven :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Noelle- Do you still need help with your kitchen plan? I didn't know if you saw the post, but Buehl has more time now...and wants to know if you still want some help :)