SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgs7691

Kitchen layout gurus -- would love your comments, advice!

jgs7691
13 years ago

Hello, all --

We are planning a kitchen reno to address the following current issues in our long, somewhat narrow kitchen:

1- oak cathedral cabinets that we don't love,as well as hideous floors and counters;

2- a "barrier island" which requires a walk-around to our fridge.

After many months of debating the peninsula v. island issue, we are now of the thinking that we will remain with the island configuration, and eliminate the "barrier" aspect so that the work triangle is unobstructed. (We laid out both a peninsula and an extended island, and -while we liked both - we found that the peninsula created more traffic pinch points.) The size of our space will not likely permit "ideal" aisle widths, but we are currently working with a 36" main work aisle (sink/DW) and, while it's sometimes tight, it's liveable.) The renovation will allow us to pick up another few inches of room, even if it's still less-than-textbook.

I have attached a drawing of the most recent layout (with adjoining areas noted) and a 3D mockup from our KD. Some inaccuracies in the pictures -- specifically, we'll have (1) large single bowl sink, not double, (2) sliding doors or outswinging french door, (3) smaller scale stools for island.

We are planning on a KA French Door counter-depth SS fridge, a Bosch 30" gas range HGS5L53UC, Bosch OTR microwave/hood (prob convection HMV8051U), and Bosch DW (500 series non-integrated). We will also leave our Breville Smart Oven on the counter (it is our main oven for daily use.) Planning on cherry cabinets, (light to mid-tone, slightly darker than natural), Zodiaq counters in a lighter neutral tone (i.e. Toasted Almond), lighter oak wood floors, and a travertine backsplash.

We are a family of 5, with 3 boys (two teens, one tween). (Kitchen planning is done with the realization that we are 3 years pre-college bills!) We are usually a "one-cook" kitchen; I am also not a big baker (holidays only), and I don't usually cook much that's greasy. We plan to vent the OTR MW to the outside -I know that is not ideal, but I've tried to find another place to put a MW and I can't seem to sacrifice the space, or else find another convenient spot.

I envision using the island for prep space, serving space at holidays, kids' homework (one at a time, they like to split up into different spaces), and to sit briefly to sign school permission slips, etc. The curved shape is to avoid tight aisles between island and refrigerator/cabinet wall, while allowing island to widen for seating where nothing is behind stools to create a pinch point.

The unit between the DR and Hallway passages will be a laptop landing spot, place to charge phones, with a 15" upper cabinet for bill-paying and note-writing supplies, a file box, magazine box for various school directories, etc. The bottom w/drawer is about 21" deep so that the surface will be "enough" without intruding into traffic lane too much. We'll probably hide dog water bowls there, and pull a stool over when necessary.

I would appreciate any comments you may have. Please let me know, also, if I've omitted any important information.

With breath held, and fingers crossed, I am grateful in advance for your time and input!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_lm6A2ogjFVY/TW0vg_vfT7I/AAAAAAAAAqs/G85JgY9lx4w/s800/image0.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/lm6A2ogjFVY/TW0vhWxVhFI/AAAAAAAAAqw/Z70riA0cuE/s800/image0-1.jpg

Comments (23)