SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Initial small kitchen layout - your comments requested.

annkathryn
12 years ago

DH and I are in the process of buying a small house built in 1949. We're downsizing and want to turn this into a house we can live in for the next 20 years or so. The house needs a lot of work and is pretty much a blank slate. It's currently 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths.

We've had a couple of initial meetings with our architect and have come up with a rough plan for adding an office on the ground floor, expanding the master bedroom on the 2nd floor above the office, and bumping out the kitchen to add a bit more space there.

Here's our mission statement:

Create a warm, bright, contemporary living space with a cohesive (architectural/interior) design throughout.

Bring the outside in.

Visually connected spaces - be able to see along the diagonals

"Contemporary cottage"

Something unexpected / surprising

Add architectural interest

And here are some thoughts for the kitchen, based on having renovated our previous house and lots of gardenweb reading:

- wall of windows with no uppers

- induction stove

- double oven

- frameless cabinets

- place for DH to perch while DW is cooking and for DW to perch while DH is cleaning up

- cleanup zone out of the way of the cooking zone so cooking/dishes can be done at same time

warm, calm, happy

cozy, light and bright

subtle tone-on-tone, wood/walnut

modern/contemporary

sleekly simple, no elaborate details

The first pic is the current layout of the house. The kitchen will get another 3 feet along the length of it when it gets bumped out to be even with the dining room.

From OldMVHouse

The next picture is the overall renovation plan for the first floor. The office is the 11x13 room in back, and we steal some room from the garage to create a laundry room on the right and coat closet on the left. The door to the furnace & water heater area gets moved from the side to facing the front of the garage. The dining room stays the same, but the wall to the kitchen is opened up. We also get a shower in the powder room, and the office gets a closet so it can be a bedroom in the future if we need one downstairs.

From OldMVHouse

This is the layout of the kitchen using Ikea's kitchen planner. I think the walls are just a bit long, should be more like 13x14.

From OldMVHouse

And this is looking into the kitchen from the door/hallway to the garage.

The island is smaller than it needs to be and I couldn't figure out how to make the countertop overhang. I'm also thinking there could be a tall pantry cabinet on the left wall where the fridge and ovens go.

What I'm struggling with:

- where to put the microwave

- where to put the recycling bins (paper and cans/bottles)

- should I put uppers on both sides of the hood (there's one there now to the left of the hood)?

- will seating at the island feel like it's always in the path of traffic?

All thoughts & comments appreciated.

Comments (31)