SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bright_side

Hello Kitchen Gurus! Will you help me with my layout?

Bright-Side
12 years ago

Hello everyone, a very long-time lurker here. It's funny - we've never met but I feel like I know you all already! This is a really wonderful community and I'm grateful to all of you because I've learned so much just by reading your posts.

We've actually been working on our home renovation/addition for over a year now. We spent about 10 months working with an architect only to find out that the plans we'd agonized over would cost more than twice our budget to build. After much drama, we are now two months into our new architect and plans, and it looks like this one is really going to happen. I am so excited but also having trouble letting go of the old plan I spent so much time on. I need some help figuring out the best plan for this space. You all are so talented and generous with your knowledge -- I'm hoping you will be able to help me figure some things out.

First of all, this is our forever house. We've moved quite a few times and we plan to stay here. We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 children ages 10 and 13). I love to cook, and cook full dinners almost every night. I also love to bake and at least once a month am baking high quantities of something for school, bake sales, etc. I'm usually the only cook in the kitchen but do have help occasionally.

The kitchen is part of a new addition to our house. As you will see, a lot of the wall space is lost to entrances to the outside deck, a fireplace wall with 2 entrances to our living room, and an entrance to the dining room (leading to the mudroom/garage entrance). I know the dining room/mudroom thing is a little awkward looking here but it works for the project and I'm thrilled beyond belief to move the dining room to this location. We eat in our dining room every night.

I'm hoping to have a large wall of windows above the sink wall. The range is a 55" Lacanche Sully and it will have a 60" hood above it. There's a bedroom above the kitchen so I have to be careful where I put the range to make sure we can vent it.

The things I like about this layout are the fact that the refrigerator and snacks are accessible without other people having to come into my cooking/cleanup zone. There's a lot of room to work on either side of the sink and range. I really like the the wall of windows because my house is dark. I can't believe we're going to have a fireplace. It's going to be beautiful.

The things that concern me about the layout is the distance from the sink to the refrigerator (too far?), the island size/layout, and I can't figure out where to put the dishes and glasses. They should be close to the dishwasher but also convenient to the refrigerator/snack area and I don't know which should take precedent. Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to put the trash in the perimeter or in the island?

This is my first post and I'm going to try to post a photo now, so I hope it works. Thanks so much for your help!!

Comments (6)