SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hillsidehouse

Gurus: Wanna critique my layout?

Hillside House
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I stumbled upon GardenWeb in the middle of a very budget DIY kitchen reno two years ago... late in the process, sadly! We're moving to a new (triple the size!) home in a couple of weeks, and will be renovating that kitchen this winter. Since I know the rules:

We are a family of 6, with 4 kids ranging from 8-16. My husband and I cook (together) almost every night, and usually have a kid or two in there at the same time helping or doing cleanup. I love to bake as well, and have two daughters who do, too. Currently, we eat all of our meals at the table, but I anticipate breakfast and lunch around the island in the new home. This will likely be our forever home.

We occasionally host casual family get-togethers, and we're both from very large families. With siblings and nieces/nephews, each side has 35-45 people, and on the rare occasion we might even have both sides at the same time! We don't entertain other than that.

There is a large separate pantry, but it's not very conveniently located, and I don't see a feasible way to fix that. I am planning on all drawers in the lowers, and very few (if any) uppers.

I should also mention that this will be primarily DIY. The house is brick, so we won't be moving or changing any exterior windows/walls. We will probably be adding a gas line for the rangetop, so that can go anywhere. We are also comfortable moving electrical and water.

I'm a graphic designer by day, so while I do want a functional kitchen, form is also super important to me, maybe even more than function!

At the end of the day, I want a kitchen that is serene and tranquil. With the chaos of our family (did I mention the 150 lb dog?), I really need a peaceful backdrop. I do like balance and contrast, though.

With all that said, here's the kitchen:

My husband and kids are ridiculously excited about the dumb waiter, so I think that will have to stay. The two larger "dots" on the bottom wall are posts that extend to the ceiling... The rest of that wall is only 8" tall, and open above with vaulted ceilings. The current layout:

My plan, with a slight variation:

or

We haven't moved into the house yet, so I can't get other measurements than what I have. Here's a photo I've taken of some blueprints at the house, but it's an early version and isn't completely accurate. It will give you an idea of the layout of the main floor, though. Note: What is labeled the porch is actually an enclosed sunroom. We may use that as our only "dining room" or put a larger, formal table in the labeled dining room, and do a smaller table and casual seating area in the sunroom.

And, just for fun, here's a photo of our current (budget DIY) kitchen, at the not-quite-finished stage. (Missing crown molding and toekicks.)

Comments (14)