SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ovenbird

Apple bundt cake

ovenbird
13 years ago

I plan to make this cake on the 23rd to be served on the 24th at my sister's house. Can I keep it in the pan covered with foil at room temperature, and then plate it just before serving? I've not made many fruity cakes and am not sure if this storage method is OK. And I don't have a good way to transport the cake if it's out of the pan. Thanks for any and all help. BTW, this cake was very good made with honey crisp apples! Marsha

Polish Apple Hanukkah Cake (Joan Nathan)

1 cup vegetable oil, plus more for greasing pan

5 apples (3 Fuji and 2 Granny Smith, or any combination of sweet and tart apples), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 6 cups)

Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

1/3 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups AP flour (I used half white whole wheat flour)

1 teaspoon baking powder (I added 1/4 tsp)

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons chopped almonds

1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar (I used 1/2 cup agave nectar)

4 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350ðF, and grease a Bundt pan or a 9 by 13- inch baking pan.

Toss the apples in a large bowl with the zest and juice of the lemon, the walnuts, and the cinnamon.

Pulse together the flour, baking powder, salt, almonds, and 1 1/4 cups of the sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. With the food processor running, add the eggs, oil, and almond extract, processing until just mixed.

Spoon 1/3 of the batter over the bottom of the pan. Scatter the apples on top, and cover the apples with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar (youâÂÂll need less if using a Bundt pan).

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. The cake will take a shorter time to bake in the shallow rectangular pan than in the Bundt pan.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe at serious eats

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!