SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abi123_gw

Help with size of opening between living room and den

Abi123
11 years ago

Hello everyone, We moved into our home about a year ago. We are hoping to make a few changes to make the spaces more functional for us. This is our current floor plan

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The formal living and family room are not too large. The way our FR is set up, it is great for tv watching but not conducive for conversation when we have people over. I would love have guests gather in the formal living room. Unfortunately it is completely cut off from the kitchen and doesn't work because of that. Even if I have to bring over tea I have to go through the formal dining or through the foyer. I am hoping to improve the flow by adding a door way between the formal and living areas.
The issue with a doorway is that we lose privacy. Anyone who steps into our foyer can look right into our kitchen.

Here are three scenarios;

with a doorway at the end of the living room

{{!gwi}}

From the foyer one can see the breakfast table and my stove / island

Second is with a 6 foot opening

{{!gwi}}

A lot of privacy lost this way

and third is somehow adding some kind of sliding doors to the 6 foot opening. Perhaps external barn doors? Any other ideas? We cannot do pocket doors due to wiring and there is no swing space for any other kind of door.

{{!gwi}}

Thank you for reading through this post. I really look forward to your opinions!

Abi

This post was edited by Abi123 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 19:41

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!