SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stonebriar_gw

New puppy with older dog question

stonebriar
17 years ago

I have a 4 year old female Jack Russel and two weeks ago I brought home a 7 week old Red Heeler female puppy. The first few days my JRT wouldn't have anything to do with the puppy, even growled at her once when the puppy got too close to her. I had been keeping them apart, playing with the puppy in my sewing room with the gate up where the JRT could see us and me still able to pet her,talk to her and let them get used to each other. Woke up one morning to the JRT licking the puppy through the cage. Ever since then that's ALL the Jack wants to do, Lick the Puppy, even enduring her tounge being bitten a few times. Now I have a harnss and a leash on the puppy and let her have free run of the house when I'm not busy and can watch her.

So my question: Is all the licking normal, the vet says that her mothering instinct has kicked in. Others say that it is a sign of doninance over the puppy!

Also the heeler only wants to herd the Jack, no one else, lunging at her and nipping at her legs. I have been telling the puppy NO but should I let the Jack take care ot it herself and if so, how for should I let her take it?

Mare

Comments (3)