SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinitytx_gw

Shih tzu puppy questions, and help with puppy training

trinitytx
15 years ago

I know many of you have this breed, and we just got one about three weeks ago.

We adore her, but need some help with a couple of things.

It has been more than a dozen years since I had a puppy. So please bear with me...

Puppies are the same, but I see lots of new and improved things in the pet stores for them.

Our biggest need is help with house breaking. We do both work full time, but can come home for lunch anytime to help with breaking up the day letting her outside to potty.

What are you recommendations and tips to help make this easier? I do not want to lock her up in a room, but am not opposed to crate training. Just have never done it.

What food do you recommend? She has a tendancy to get into the other animals food, which is half soft and half dry, but it gives her the runs. She will even eat dry cat food before she resorts to the dry puppy chow in her bowl.

Tips on feeding would be welcome, especially feeding with multiple animals. Can I feed her home made sticky rice to help keep her more solid?

Also she snorts and sniffles and sounds as though she has a cold. I have taken her to the vet, and he put her on allergy pills 3x a day. I don't see an improvment, but am now reading this is a normal sound for this breed.

Does anybody have tips on what to do? I think it bothers me more than it bothers her, but it sounds like she has a breathing problem. She has no fever, so infection has been ruled out.

I would love to hear your pet stories.

I feel rather stupid asking, as I have had so many animals that have live here for decades, it is the puppyhood once again that has me baffled and frustrated.

Trin

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville