SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesbarby

Help on housebreaking my puppy

bluesbarby
17 years ago

I am crate training my puppy. At night he whimpers when he wants out. No problem there. During the day he's crated when someone's home. When I take him out he goes outside to do his business and then gets time to play before I put him in the crate again. Usually about 2 hours. I also take him on 2 walks. One in the morning and one when I get home from work and he does his business after each walk (he likes to do it in his yard). He only poops twice a day - in the middle of the night and after his evening walk. Because my DH and DD and I have different schedules he's only left alone for a few hours 3 days a week in the early afternoon. During that time he gets a section of the house (kitchen, kitchen nook and DR)to himself. So far he holds it until we get home. If he can't hold it he uses the piddle pads we leave out. So apparently I have his schedule down. But when will he start letting me know he has to go out? What can I do to teach him to bark or whatever when he needs to go out so I don't have to crate him forever.

Right now I feel like I'm the one who is housebroken, not him. Mind you he's a small mix breed (shih tzu, bichon and poodle, mostly shih tzu) and he's only 4 months old. We've had him for a month now and he hasn't had any accidents since the first week. Which to be honest kind of amazed me. It's been 16 years since I trained a puppy and to be honest I can't remember what we did then or how long it took, plus she was a retriever.

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks

Comments (5)