SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Need advice on housebreaking a new puppy

glen3a
17 years ago

It looks like we are adding another addition to the family. IÂm on the short list for a pug puppy which we will pick up anytime after Oct 18th. While IÂm very exciting IÂm also very nervous about training the little guy the proper way.

For those of you whoÂve had experiences with puppies I have a question regarding potty training. Quite a few books and websites say that "Crate Training" works wonders. That is, keep the puppy in a crate or cage but taking him outside to relieve himself every 2 to 4 hours. When he does his business outside, you praise him like crazy. After a while, he realizes by habit that outdoors in the place to go. Apparently this system works well because a dog, by instinct, will not soil his sleeping quarters if given the choice. For this method you do let him outside of his crate for supervised play time, short walks and feeding time.

Unfortunately though, this method will not work unless you are home every 4 or 5 hours to let him out of the crate as a small puppy canÂt be expected to hold his bladder for much longer. There are a couple of days where we arenÂt home for 8 hours. If you canÂt do the crate method, they say to either use a dog exercise pen or let him have the run of one room, such as the kitchen. You then paper train him so that he consistently pees on newspaper when he has to go. The advantage of this method is that if you donÂt get home in time, he eventually learns that itÂs alright to pee in the house as long as itÂs on newspaper. Eventually when heÂs older and can hold his bladder longer, you train him to start peeing outside.

I guess weÂll have to use this method, but my concern is one comment I read that said if you do "newspaper train" him, it might be too confusing to the puppy if you are training him to relieve himself outside at the same time. My thinking was to newspaper train him, but at obvious times when he has to go to the washroom (such as when he first wakes up) to rush him outside as quickly as possible. I was hoping that this way he would learn that he should go outside, but if weÂre not home itÂs okay to go on paper. But, according to one place I read, they say having two places to pee such as this might be too confusing at first.

So, do I teach him to go on the newspaper 100% of the time and then eventually switch that to outside? Or, do I do a mix of teaching him to pee on the paper if he really has to go, but weÂd prefer he go outside if given the choice?

Just wondering how other people have approached this issue and any advice you can give.

Regards and Thanks,

Glen

Comments (34)