SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Small puppies and house-breaking

sweetchastity
13 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone who's owned a small dog can give some input regarding house-breaking their puppy? We can get our puppies to go outside sometimes, like early morning, but they are still going in the house and I'm not sure if its just that they are so small they can't hold much or they just don't get what we are trying to tell them. We tried paper in the kitchen, I put some grass peed on by my brother's dog under the top one, but they just didn't seem to know what to do there. Then they'd walk away and 10 seconds later pee/poo on the carpet. The male also has peed on one chair twice. The female likes to poo on this pet bed that Dustin sleeps on (he now takes naps in the basement, lol) and it looks to me like they seem to like those spots. Is there any rhyme or reason to where they pick to go? We praise them and give them treats when they do go outside or on the paper (which we've now abandoned) but I'm not sure if they are connecting the two together. We go out in the back and sit on small hill with the puppies and wait... and wait... and wait... then wait some more. They are so interested in playing and chewing grass and sniffing that we end up giving up and going inside (we wait 30-60 mins, we enjoy being out with them) then they immediately go on the carpet. We sectioned off a small area of our deck and put a strip of carpet there and put them there so we can move off a bit to give them privacy but they want out (bit spoiled going where they want in the house I think).

My brother has Punkin's little brother and they've had maybe two accidents since Saturday but then they have a 1+ year old Beagle and so he might be following and copying him.

I read that puppies' bathroom habits are like clockwork, they eat and in 5-30 minutes after they should be taken outside to do their business. Peanut will pee outside then come in and fifteen minutes later pees on the carpet.

Is house-breaking harder for small dogs? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)