SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Training questions for an older puppy

ranchreno
13 years ago

We are in the process of adopting our first family dog. Our hope is to find a rescue dog,ideally around a year old and already housebroken. We expect to need to do additional training (crate training, leash, obedience, etc.), and unless we happen on an especially well-trained little guy, plan to do both a boarding "puppy boot camp" and ongoing training with our family members.

Is it generally best to let a new dog get accustomed to its new family and surroundings for a while (how long?)and do some "family" training before sending him to puppy boot camp? Or send away as soon as possible? We have a one week trip coming up in mid April and trying to figure out if we could use that week for boot camp if we got a dog in the next month or two, or if we should wait to even get the dog until we return.

I have never had a dog and while I'm open to going to whatever classes are necessary and to working with our new dog as much as needed, I really don't know what the heck I'm doing and I am pretty sure that a good "boot camp" will be a good thing for us.

Thoughts on timing? Any tips for good training programs (boarding and otherwise) in the NW Chicago area?

Thanks!

Comments (7)