SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftyrn

What's going out from your kitchen for Christmas ?

craftyrn
15 years ago

Here's part of what's going out of mine:

Cookies going in my Christmas Gift tins ( each 2 or 3 of a kind will go into separate baggies before being packet in tins-- hate it when aromas & tastes blend into all the cookies ) this year:

Outer ring clockwise from cherry topper :

Cherry topped sugar cookie ball

lemon poppy-seed balls

almond crescents

sesame seed

neopolitans ( never again-- to much fussing!)

cranberry lemon shortbread

Italian lemon drops

mincemeat flats

dipped almond anise biscotti

raspberry thumbprints

Italian pepper/spice

chubby hubbies

inner:

pecan snowballs

apricot squares

cherry balls

rocky road bars

black cocoa espresso balls

choc rugelach

no done yet-- cuccidati

Candy-- sm tins going with cookies:

clockwise from candy cane ( not mine LOL)

Sugar rolled dates stuffed with Smokehouse Almonds

Black cocoa rum truffle

microwave Spanish peanut brittle

sugar plums

milk chocolate raisin cluster

DumDum sucker wrapped in fudge the rolled in christmas sprinkles

milk & white chocolate crisped rice bark

Espresso powder maraschino cherry truffle

Honey roasted nuts covering rum truffle

Center : heavenly hash popcorn

Comments (55)

• stacy3
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

whaddya mean Diane??? You don't make candy canes??? LOL.

What a fabulous assortment of treats. I am in awe of the things that you make, and am jealous of those who receive them. :-)

Especially the cuccidati. I hope to make some this year. It was soooo yummy when we did the exchange.

Terri, I love the idea of the cinnamon rolls. I really love that. How special that would be to give a couple pans to friends to have on Christmas morning. I am kind of "not smart" about how to do things like that to give away. Are yours already baked? Or ready to bake?

I made some of Sharon's peppermint bark today for teachers and office staff, and nursing home staff. Also, made Jenn's cranberry lemon cookies which Will walked in the house and scarfed up so many of = that I have to make another batch - LOL! These will go to the previous people too, and some of all of these also to my SIL's sister who had cancer surgery Thurs.

I am making Sherry's Santa's helpers - a bunch. Will give some away and keep many for us, as I caught he!! last year for not making enough. :-)

OH! I am making (drum roll please) Oly's baklava. I'll let you know how I do!

Last year I made a bunch of biscotti and that was really nice and impressive. I just can't do it all..I'M ONLY ONE WOMAN - (grin).

I don't know how you do it Diane.

Stacy

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I'll take on of each please...YUM!

I took care of my shopping this weekend so I'll be on a baking mission next weekend. A couple of things during the week if it works out time wise.

David

• Related Discussions

What is your one 'go to' Christmas item you use year after year

Q

Comments (7)
    Wow! Great bargains! Red plates would be a good addition! My one "go-to" item that I use for Christmas is the Holy Family I made in ceramics class back in the mid-70's. It was greenware that I cleaned & painted & then the teacher fired it in a kiln. I love it because it was made after the birth of our own son. Here's a close-up view of it a couple yrs ago: And then here it is this yr (evening photo) on top of china cabinet: Thanks, swest, for starting this thread! & for sharing! Jeanne S.
    ...See More

So how did your Christmas turn out? Was Santa Good?

Q

Comments (22)
    Santa was so good, I/we feel a little guilty. MIL buys us literally a carload of gifts. Most of the stuff is wonderful and we are appreciative, but there are a couple of things we don't know where we are going to put them, and they're really not our style. They're from ebay, so they're really not returnable. We have asked her to please cut back, but that hasn't worked. She buys items throughout the year. OTOH, new fun things: Digital remote meat thermometer. I opened it early so we could grill the tenderloin. Yes, I asked for a new meat thermometer, LOL. Some iPhone accessories: a cassette adapter so I can broadcast through the speakers in my older Mustang and listen to the Sirius. His friend has this, and it works really well. It's called iDeck. It's also a hands-free phone device, so very useful. He also got me an armband so I can use it for exercise. The "big" gift was a Kitchenaid mixer in Ice color. It was between the Ice and Cobalt blues, but Ice seems to be the better color. He is interested in using the meat grinder and sausage stuffer, so it's more of a gift for us than for me alone. I don't mind getting kitchen/cooking related things for Christmas since I enjoy cooking. MIL got me the new Bobby Flay cookbook, and someone on the kitchens forum said to try the carmelized onion pizza. I can make the dough in the new mixer.
    ...See More

How does your dog signal his need to go out?

Q

Comments (23)
    HoneyBear is around one year old now and we have only had him about 5 months. He still will wet in the house periodically if we don't take it on ourselves to put on the leash and take him out every two hours or so. He poops in the house a few times but mainly outdoors and on his walk. He is a funny dog about his eating too. I can put his food out for him and I have to coax him to come and eat. When he does he growls if I get near his food and would probably bite too. He eats some and goes through the motions of burying it in plain sight. Our previous little dog did that too. He has issues and they are tiring to deal with, but we must. Paul
    ...See More

Trying things out when your plans go awry

Q

Comments (5)
    ideagirl -- The underlying surface is Ikea numerar birch. It was sanded to remove the light oil treatment it comes with. I just poured the India ink on small areas of it and spread it out with a small foam-covered roller, using a small brush for the edges. The India ink is water soluble and you can thin it to experiment with how dense a black you want over the wood grain. The idea is from the incredibly inventive Brickmanhouse. I had thought I could get a grayish effect using other stuff -- waterbased stain, vinegar with steel wool dissolved in it -- but I only made a big mess and was so relieved that the India ink thing actually worked. My whole point in this post is that sometimes having to improvise gets me a better outcome than my hare-brained impulses deserve. Of course, having a common loon around is always handy. Here is a link that might be useful: Brickmanhouse's masterpiece
    ...See More
  • shaun
    15 years ago

Wow! Now *that's* an assortment of xmas cookies, that's for sure. I made about 3 doz butter cookies yesterday and needed to lay down afterwards. I can't imagine making all those that you made!!!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Stacy, I deliver them baked, frosted and warm, last year only one batch went out the door...across the street..she gives us lumpia every year........She brought lumpia yesterday....

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

What's going out from my kitchen? Me! I won't be home for Christmas, LOL. I envy your cookie-baking talent Diane - those all look so yummy.

Stacy, Oly's baklava is the best I've ever had - it's well worth the layering time.

• bri29
    15 years ago

I did a little work in the kitchen yesterday (it was snowing, what else was I going to do?). I made about 160 candied orange peels, dipped about half of them in chocolate to make orangettes. Then I made caramel nut brownies and peanut butter balls.

Still on the list to be made are nutmeg logs, pans of cinnamon rolls for the neighborhood, more of Ann's fabulous cream cheese danish, sugar cookies, macarons, snickery squares, and maybe russian tea cakes. I've been doling them out to coworkers and neighbors in installments, mostly because I don't have the discipline to get everything done at once.

I certainly envy your discipline and talent Diane, there's no way I could pull off an impressive spread like that! Of course, I'm consistently in awe of the people in this forum...

• Lisa_in_Germany
    15 years ago

Those all look and sound so good.
    I have so far made florentine, sugar cookies, vanilla crescents, peanut butter blossoms and ginger snaps. I am hoping to get some more kinds made this week.
    Lisa

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Where are the recipes! I want RECIPES for those cookies!

Gosh, I want...
    lemon poppy-seed balls,
    cranberry lemon shortbread,
    Italian lemon drops,
    mincemeat flats (I love mincemeat),
    apricot squares,
    cherry balls,
    and black cocoa espresso balls!

Don't torture me! Have these recipes all been posted here before so I can find them?

• granjan
    15 years ago

Wow, Diane. I think I do good but I'm way behind you. And you take pix!. Actually I usually take some Pix, I just never get them posted.

Cut and decorated Sugar Cookies and Pepperkakker took days. I used to be faster at them.

Just finished Alfajores, most will be for my cookbook group's cookie exchange.

World Peace
    Pecan Nibbies
    Pistachio Cherry Biscotti
    Pecan Melba Biscotti
    Peanut Butter Fudge
    Nanamio Bars, Regular and a new Peanut Butter version
    Cream Wafers
    I still want to make about a dozen others! But 1st I have to finish decorating the house.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Diane, Ummm, I want to be your friend that gets one of those tins!!! Wow! You kitchen baking cookie woman.

No treats out of my kitchen this year`:-( I kind of feel like Shaun. I baked a cake for a party last weekend and I needed to lay down after icing it...lol

• trudy_gw
    15 years ago

Ann's cream cheese danish
    Dutch Letters...have already made 4 batches (had to lay down and rest also)
    Pecan Tassie (these are delish, I cant leave them alone)
    Andes Mint cookies

Today I will be mixing up Date Pinwheels, later this week hope to try some fudge, Ann's maple cream and Fanatasy fudge. Our kids will be coming after Christmas, so am going to make Dutch Pig in the Blankets....the kids love them.

Wanted to make gingerbread men, but can not find a cutter I like. Maybe next year I will think of making them early enough to find a cutter.

Love seeing photos, I take them, but dont get them posted either.

Happy baking and candy making to everyone! Also thanks for the wonderful recipes that have been shared.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I'm behind too. I've made one batch of hot and spicy chex mix, and some chocolate fudge and peanut butter fudge. I've got chocolate chip dough, peanut butter dough and gingerbread dough in the freezer and a batch of white chocolate/maraschino cherry dough in the refrigerator.

I took Ann T's cream cheese danish to Ohio last weekend for Elery's sister and Dad. his stepmom and BIL are both diabetics and I make the filling all sugar free, it comes out great with all fruit jam and Equal in the cream cheese.

And no pictures, because I left the camera in Ohio at Elery's Dad's. He's mailing it back to me, maybe I'll have it by this weekend...

Annie

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I forgot to add that I also want to know what those caramel squares are, and the mincemeat flats look really interesting.

Diane, you are a baking fool, LOL. Bud and Makayla would love those fudge covered Dum-Dums.

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

Diane what a wonderful selection...you have me in awe!

You folks know I'm no baker so the only thing like that going out of my kitchen is my Peppermint Bark. Oh, I guess I can count all that baking we did with Sara.

Other than the bark, gifts from my kitchen will be dills, English style pickled onions, bread and butter pickles, red pepper jelly and chile sauce done up in small gift baskets.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I'll take a gift basket from you Sharon!! Those are things I don't make in my kitchen..or atleast not often.(pepper jelly)

• JoanM
    15 years ago

I tried 4 new recipes on Sunday, well new to me anyway. I made the World Peace Cookies, Snickerdoodles, Ginger Snaps, and Butterscotch something. My Mom complained that none of them are Christmas cookies. It seems Christmas cookies have to have some red, some green or at least sprinkles. I am tempted to add some red food coloring to a batch of chocolate chip cookies just for her :->

Would they turn red or yucky?

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

I'm done-candied out! And I don't even do as much as I used to. Here's a picture of what's going out this year. I ended up bagging everything today in cello bags and I made some labels for them so people know what they're getting.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

You all are out of control!!! I thought I was doing good with:
    Turtles
    Peanut Butter Cups
    Maple Fudge
    Miracle Fudge
    Mice

• bri29
    15 years ago

Dang it, now you've reminded me that I also wanted to make florentines, world peace cookies and fudge. I knew I shouldn't have checked back on this thread!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

ME!!

I'm leaving my teeny-tiny-temporary-while-we-build apartment kitchen and going to my daughter's house!!

But this Saturday I'm going there to bake cookies with my 6-year-old granddaughter -- I'll mix up the cookies here and take them there to cut, bake and decorate. I'm doing Marigene's No Fail rollout cookies and a batch of Snickerdoodles so her 3-year-old brother can help.

But next year . . . watch out! Chloe and I will work in my beautiful (I hope) new kitchen and turn out amazing things!

Arlene

• User
    15 years ago

Diane, I'd like to be a member of your family. They all must look forward to your Christmas baking every year. So much variety.

Tracey, Will you please post your chocolate coated toffee recipe. I tried a new recipe yesterday that I found on line. And it was a disaster. It called for a pound of butter and two cups of sugar and you stirred it until it became caramel colour and 300F Hard ball stage. After cooking for about 15 minutes or longer instead of becoming caramel, the butter totally separated and I had an ugly mess. Instead of tossing it out, I poured in a splash a cream and it all came together again, but it more of a soft chewy caramel fudge than the hard toffee that I was aiming for. Tastes wonderful, like toffee, just doesn't have the texture. I was just happy that I didn't have to toss it all out.

Here is what I have so far.

Shortbreads
    Gingersnaps
    Chocolate Chip Shortbreads
    Magic Chocolate Ball Truffles
    Crisp Chocolate Truffles
    Cream Cheese Brandy Cherry Balls
    Chocolate coated Toffee

I still need to make some thumb print cookies, to add a little colour to the plate.

• namabafo
    15 years ago

wow, so many of you are done already! Mine won't be done until the weekend.

so far I have:

Butterscotch Cookies
    Caramel Shortbread Squares
    Cocoa Mint Wafers
    Coconut Shortbread
    Danish Sugar Cookies
    Fudge
    Ginger Pecan Oatmeal Crisps
    Snowballs
    Stained Glass Windows

Still left to make:
    Apricot Pinwheels
    Italian Cookies (just need to frost)
    Apricot Chews
    Chocolate Truffle Cookies
    Date Rum Balls
    Ginger Sugar Cookies
    Honey Almond Butter Strips
    Lemon Spritz Trees
    Snickerdoodles or Cardamom Print Wafers
    Toffee Butter Crunch
    White Choc. Cranberry Pistachio Bark

I've changed up a few, but here is what my tins looked like last year:

• momof2doxies
    15 years ago

Every ones goodies look delicious. I managed to get half of this years gift baskets done and delivered this past weekend. The small baskets just had chocolate pecan fudge, Annie's Salsa, Amish Friendship bread, and assorted chocolates. The large baskets had:

Annies Salsa
    Carrot Cake Cupcakes
    Pecan Pie Muffins
    Snickerdoodles
    Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Special K Bars
    Peanut Blossoms
    Raspberry Thumbprints with White Chocolate Drizzle
    World Peace Cookies
    Chocolate Pecan Fudge
    Peanut Butter Balls
    Chocolate & Toffee Bits
    Pecan Butter Creams
    Crème De Mints
    Graham & Peanut Butter Bon Bons
    White Chocolate & Candy Canes
    Crispy Chocolate Truffles
    Chocolate Covered Cashews
    Chex Mix
    Caramel Corn

Everything got divided up and labeled first.

Then the baskets got filled.

Then they got wrapped.

And these two were my helpers.

I start all over again tomorrow, but I will get to enjoy taste testing some of them this time. I finally got my feeding tube out yesterday, so I am one happy camper today.

Linda (formerly Bessiedawg)

• User
    15 years ago

Wow, Linda,Namabafo, I'm impressed. Lucky gift recipients.

Ann

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Linda,
    What lovely gifts!!! You should be proud! Cute furbabies too !

Grace

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

I am making Turtles today, and thought that was doing well. You're all just a bunch of Over Achievers, is all I can say...

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Linda, could I just borrow those two helpers?

Here I made:

Peanut butter cookies
    chocolate chip cookies
    White Chocolate and maraschino shortbread
    Gingerbread snowflakes
    Pecan crescents
    Chocolate Fudge
    Peanut butter fudge

I still have to bake cookies with bud and makayla next week and make a batch of Ann T's brandied cherry balls.

Annie

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Holy smokes. I am hanging my head in shame. I send some Toll House Cookies to my son in CA. I send them in a shoe box.

Now I know who the real Christmas elves are!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Ann, in case Tracey doesn't come back here's my candy recipe that looks like hers..

Almond Butter Crunch~Betty Crocker
    1 c sugar
    1 c butter
    2 T water
    1 T corn syrup
    3/4 c toasted chopped almonds
    1/2 c chocolate chips
    butter square pan 9X9. Heat sugar, butter, water and corn syrup to boiling in heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, to 290F about 12-15 minutes (mixture will be light brown and thickened); remove from heat.
    Stir in almonds (I like to actually chop or grate the almonds on top of the chocolate.). Spread evenly in pan. sprinkle with chocolate chips. cover until chocolate is softened, 1-2 minutes; carefully spread over candy. Let stand at room temp until chocolate is firm, about 3 hours. Loosen candy from sides of pan; remove from pan. Break candy into pieces with knife. Cover and refrigerate any remaining candy.

• Fori
    15 years ago

Wow. Impressive!

Not much got out of my kitchen this year. The candy didn't look right so it's in the freezer for re-use. A few cookies made it to a cookie exchange, but a large portion of them slid off the cookie sheet onto the oven door. Oops. Parchment paper is slippery. I did OK with the fruitcake but didn't send all of them away and I'm eating one now. Not good!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Joanm: Tell your mom (respectfully!!) that Snickerdoodles are true, bona-fide Christmas cookies!! At least at our house they are . . .

Y'all are fabulous. Does anyone want to adopt me? I'm housebroken and even occasionally do windows.

My total Christmas decorations this year: Three new BB&B candles, and a 4" light-up snowman someone gave me last Sunday. My decorations are all packed while we're building . . . so it's somewhat of a blue Christmas this year! I have to admit I'm struggling a bit. To compensate, we've gone to two wonderful Christmas concerts, the over-the-top children's pagent at our church, and one pre-school program (2 grandchildren). We have one more of those tomorrow -- same program, different child! That's helping a lot.

Carry on, bakers! Share your pictures! Cause more drool on the keyboard!!

Arlene

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

Ann,
    Here's the toffee recipe I always use. Sorry it took me so long to get it posted! I'm sorry you had such a time with your batch.

English Toffee

2 c sugar
    2/3 c butter
    2 T water
    1 T light corn syrup
    1 t vanilla
    1 c chocolate chips
    1 c finely chopped nuts

Combine sugar, butter, water, and corn syrup in a 3-qt pan. Cook over med-low heat, stirring gently, until sugar dissolves (I stir a good 10 minutes). Cover and cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan. Uncover and cook to hard crack stage (300°). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into an ungreased 15x10x1" jelly roll pan, spreading to edges of pan.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over toffee; let stand 1 minute then spread over entire candy layer. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set.

source: Southern Living 1987

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks Terri and Tracey.

Ann

• User
    15 years ago

I enjoy seeing all these lovely baked gifts. I made the call not to do my cookie trays this year. We were among the cities hard hit by last week's ice storm (12/11)and were without power for 2 days. DD & SIL did not get utilities restored till yesterday, so they had moved in w/ us.

Other family members had heat (wood stoves, etc.) but very limited cooking capabilties. So instead of cookies, I've spent the last week making soups and casseroles to share. Not quite as festive, but very appreciated.

I am a week behind in all my holiday chores, but I did bake Ann T's chocolate chip shortbreads to enjoy after DH & I shoveled out stairs, decks & walkways after yesterday's snowstorm. It just isn't the holidays for me if there isn't the aroma of cookies baking in the house while Christmas music plays in the background.

Two more snowstorms are in the forecast for this coming weekend. If I get in gear and get presents wrapped, maybe I can whip up a few more batches of cookies. You all have inspired me!

• Susan
    15 years ago

wow!! i'm very impressed you guys--and kind of feeling like a slacker at the same time!
    it's ok, i have other talents,and besides, dh is really the chef in this house.
    he is making me a few dozen chocolate dipped macaroons for saturday's cookie swap--which we will do after we go carolling on horseback through the neighborhood.
    he's also making a few gallons of his tomato gravy for my dd and her dh. plus i'll bring the ingrediants in a cooler to their home next week for dinner one night-we'll be there for close to a week,, i can't wait.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Ann, it's okay about your toffee...I didn't quite hit the mark with the Maple Fudge this time either..it's tasty..I think my arm go tired to early..and it was a touch grainy...

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Oh my!! I certainly cannot compete with the likes of you folks here. But I found my cinnamon babka recipe and I'm going to make that in small rounds to give to my niece, nephews, and sons. I might get some mini pound cakes baked this weekend too.

The cough/sore throat crud has laid me low this week. So who knows if anything will get done. :o(

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I am clearly an amateur in this crowd!

I have what may be a dumb question. I'm wondering about the logistics of making so many things to give at once. How many days does it take to do so many things and how do you keep them all fresh in the meanwhile? Freeze? Refrigerate? Just seal and store at room temp? I see that Annie makes a lot of dough ahead, presumably to bake a lot of things at once and not have things aging, but even so, it's got to take awhile to get it all baked and taken care of.

Of course, my biggest problem with having cookies around too long (like 24 hours) is that the kids will polish them off...

Thanks in advance for the answers, and thanks so much for sharing your lists and your photos! Some, I must say, are downright intimidating, but all are beautiful and motivating. ;-)

• momof2doxies
    15 years ago

I forgot about AnnT's brandied cherry balls. Now I have to make some of those also. I did get 480 dog biscuits done yesterday.

Rhome,it really just takes organization. I make the candies first, since they will stay fresh the longest. Then I start on the fudge doing 4 batches at a time. Then the chex mix and caramel corn. The cookies and breads are made in two days time. I pre-measure everything and bag it a few days before I am ready to get started. I start with the doughs that need to be refrigerated for some time. Then I mix up a couple of batches of the bread since it takes an hour to bake. Then just start mixing and baking. They tend to be long days, usually starting about 6:00 in the AM and lasting until 11:00 PM. I do not make meals during the two day baking fest. The following morning I divide it all up and label it. It is then delivered that same day. I do have to admit that I have 2 full size ovens and a small convection oven so that helps tremendously. I started out just doing a few recipes and it has blossomed into an all-out baking fest. Good Luck.

Linda

• craftyrn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm late getting back with these recipes but between delivering cookie /goodie trays & attending various Gkids "school dos" just haven't been on the computer much.

Gosh-- lots of great looking goodies going out of everyone's kitchens! I love seeing what everyone's doing-- and glad to see they're all local-lofat LOL !!!

Recipes I need:please, please
    namabafo's --honey Almond Butter Strips
    momofdoxie's-- World Peace cookie

Ok-- the Apricot Squares & Mincemeat Flats---- I use a rugalach recipe only use 2/3 butter-- 1/3 shortening to make a softer dough that spreads a little as it bakes.
    I roll out-- cut into squares (instead of wedges), use a good dab of apricot preserves in the middle then fold a couple sides in & press lightly-- the mincemeat use prepared
    mincemeat instead of preserves--spread over dough square & fold/roll up-- place on parchment paper-- brush with eggwash& bake (without refrigerating to firm like rugalach).
    Each piece will come out a little different shape once baked-- do leave of sheet to cool for a couple minutes before moving to rack -- these are a very soft cookie.

The Sesame Seed I use this recipe only leave in ball form instead of rolling into logs:
    I also use this recipe for the Poppyseed ones adding lemon zest instead of orange zest & stirring in poppy seeds ( not poppyseed filling) , again roll into balls

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies

Sesame Seed Cookies
    ===================
    4 cups All-purpose Flour

1 cup Sugar

1 tablespoon Baking Powder

dash Of Salt

1/2 pound (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, Softened

2 large Eggs

1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1 teaspoon Orange Zest, Finely Chopped

1-1/2 cups Fresh Sesame Seeds
    . Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter two baking sheets, or place
    silicon baking sheets on them. In a large bowl, stir together the
    flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer on low
    speed, add the butter until blended. Whisk together the eggs, zest and
    vanilla, and add this to the flour mixture, and continue beating on low
    until you have a smooth dough. Pinch off a small piece of dough about
    the size of a small golf ball and roll it into a log about 2 inches
    long. Roll the log into the sesame seeds, pressing them lightly to
    stick. Place the cookie on the prepared baking sheets, and continue
    forming the remaining cookies the same way, keeping the cookies two
    inches apart. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool, and
    store in airtight containers

The Italian Lemon Drops:-- I add a dusting of lemon zest to each cookie before the frostening dries

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies

Italian Lemon Drops
    ===================
    1 cup Granulated Sugar

1/2 cup Shortening

6 Eggs

1 teaspoon Lemon Extract

4 cups Flour

1 teaspoon Grated, Chopped Lemon Zest

2-1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder

dash Of Salt
    . For Icing:

2 Cups Powdered Sugar

Fresh Lemon Juice . Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Either lightly
    grease two baking or cookie sheets, or use silicon sheets on them. In a
    large bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening. Add the eggs,
    lemon extract and grated lemon zest, and mix well. Stir together the
    flour, salt, and baking powder. Add this dry mixture to the bowl with
    the eggs and mix well. Roll the dough into small balls about 3/4 inch
    big, and place on the baking sheets at least 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake
    the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the powdered
    sugar and a tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Only add as much lemon
    juice as is needed to make an icing that will coat the cookies. With a
    small spoon, drizzle the icing over the cookies, allowing it to run
    down the sides. Let sit out for an hour or two until set. Store in an
    airtight container

The Cherry Balls I use the Lemon Drop recipe -- omit the lemon extract & use 1/2 tsp each of vanilla & almond extracts,
    add red food coloring & when making balls form them around a well drained marchino cherry-- frost with a bit of plain vanilla/almond frosting and add
    a half cherry to the top. I often will put a date or hershey's kiss in the middle instead of the cherry.

The Cranberry Lemon Shortbread: I just mix in dried cranberries
    Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Cookies 2008

English Lemon Shortbread Scones
    ===============================
    Brian Wood is a frequent and prolific contributor to the King Arthur Baking
    Circle. His recipes have always proven reliable, consistent, and delicious
    Yield: 5 dozen cookies

Shortbread Ingredients:

2 cups butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
    4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Glaze Ingredients:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Garnish Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
    . Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all shortbread ingredients except flour in
    large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
    Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until mixture resembles coarse
    crumbs. Press dough evenly into lightly greased 15x10x1 jelly-roll pan.
    Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.

Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until
    smooth. Spread thin layer of glaze over cooled shortbread; sprinkle
    with 1 tablespoon lemon peel, if desired. Let stand 30 minutes to set.
    Cut into 2-1/2 x 1-inch strips

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Truffles-- make a double batch of any truffle recipe-- one batch I add rum to-- roll 1/2 that batch in chopped peanuts
    1/2 in a Black Cocoa I get from the Mennonites.
    The other batch I mix finely chopped Marchino cherries into--then mix instant expresso powder & regular cocoa 2:1 and roll in that.

The Caramels are Microwave -- recipe from Cooking Forum last year-- maybe Alexa's - Tracy's ?-- easy , easy

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Candy & other confections

Microwave Caramels
    ==================
    Nonstick foil
    1 cup butter (no substitutions)
    2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1 cup light-colored corn syrup
    One 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

(* my notes:

for chocolate hazelnut flavor add 2 pkgs each of Tasters Choice single cup size instant Cholate coffee & Hazelnut coffee-- the dry granules-- just mix in with butter,b sugar etc.)
    . 1. Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with nonstick foil or buttered foil,
    allowing edges to hang over sides of pan; set aside.

2. In a large microwave-safe bowl combine butter, brown sugar, corn
    syrup, and condensed milk; cover loosely with parchment paper.
    Microwave on 100% power (high) for 4 or 5 minutes* or until butter
    starts to melt. Whisk to combine mixture. Microwave on high for 4 or 5
    minutes* more. Whisk well. Microwave an additional 4 or 5 minutes*.
    Whisk gently. Add vanilla. (Note: Bowl may get hot as mixture cooks;
    use hot pads to handle.)

3. Pour caramel mixture into the prepared pan. Chill for 1 to 1 1/2
    hours or until just firm. Using foil, lift block of caramel from the
    pan. Use a buttered knife to cut into 1-inch squares. Try the topping
    variations below, if desired, making several of the variations with 1
    batch of caramels. Wrap individually with plastic wrap or waxed paper
    or place in candy cups in a covered gift tin or container. Store in an
    airtight container either chilled or at room temperature (we prefer
    chilled) for up to 2 weeks. Makes 2 3/4 pounds (81 pieces)

*Note: Use the 4-minute timings for higher wattage microwave ovens
    (1,100 to 1,200 watts) and 5-minute timings for lower wattage ovens.

Confetti Caramels: Place 1/4 cup assorted colored sprinkles in a
    custard cup; set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl place 1/2 cup
    white baking pieces. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes
    or until melted, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Dip bottom of each
    caramel in melted white chocolate. Dip into sprinkles and place on
    parchment or waxed paper until set. Enough to dip 20 caramels.

Orange-Cranberry Drizzles: In a custard cup combine 1 teaspoon finely
    shredded orange peel and 2 tablespoons snipped dried cranberries; set
    aside. When caramel is just set, sprinkle orange mixture atop
    one-quarter of the pan (or desired portion); press lightly. Cut
    caramels as directed. Melt 1/4 cup white baking pieces as directed
    above. Place melted pieces in a small plastic bag; snip a small hole in
    the corner of the bag. Place caramels on cooling rack over parchment
    paper. Drizzle with melted pieces by squeezing from bag over caramels.
    Enough for 20 caramels.

Toffee, Almond, or Chocolate Treats: Place 1/2 cup chocolate-covered
    toffee pieces, sliced toasted almonds, and/or miniature semisweet
    chocolate pieces in a small, shallow bowl. After cutting caramels (they
    should still be slightly warm and a little soft), dip each into the
    desired topping gently pressing the bits into each caramel. Enough for
    20 caramels.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Okay - I have the finish line in sight! I jsut have the margarita balls to do.....

Here is the final tally:

CHocolate Sparklers (wont make them again, disappointing)
    Chocolate Raspberry Sticks
    Santas Helpers
    Chocolate Covered Pretzels
    Snickerdoodles
    Nutella Sandwiches
    Candy Cane frosted cookies
    Cherry Almond Biscotti
    Lemon Ginger Biscotti
    Orange Cinnamon Biscotti (not bad, but I wont bother with these again either)
    Gelatin Spritz
    Frosted Sugar Cutouts
    Bourbon Pecans (Helene's recipe is TDF)
    Fruit Cake
    Bourbon Balls
    Peanut Brittle
    Margarita Balls

I think those will make a nice combination.....And I have to be honest, I googles the World Peace Cookies, and I don't get the appeal. They sound average at best. Am I missing something?

Alexa

• namabafo
    15 years ago

here you go, craftyrn--(Thanks for your recipes, too!)

(I always get the name of this recipe backwards!)

Butter Strips with Honey Almond Glaze
    Woman's Day--1992

Glaze:

1/3 c butter
    1 c sliced almonds, chopped (this wasnt enough for me, so I use 2 c of slivered-no chopping)
    1/4 c granulated sugar
    1/4 c brandy or 1/4 c water and 1 tsp brandy extract
    2 tbs honey
    3/4 tsp almond extract.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
    Add remaining ingredients and stir over mediumhigh heat until mixture comes to a boil.
    Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Crust:

1 3/4 c flour
    1/2 c sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 c butter, softened
    1 egg lightly beaten.

Heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 10x15" jelly-roll pan.

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
    Stir in egg until well blended. (I do all this in my KA mixer)
    Press dough evenly over bottom of pan.
    Pour glaze over top and spread evenly.

Bake 20-25 minutes until light brown. Cool in pan on rack. When cool, cut into 1x2" strips.
    Store air-tight for up to two weeks.

• User
    15 years ago

rhome410 - For years (since kids were in grade school - they're now 28 & 25) I have devoted 2 days to Christmas baking - a candy-making, cookie baking marathon. The kids always thought it was cool because we ordered out dinner on those nights which was, and is, a rare occasion in our home.

The home we lived in for 20 years had a small kitchen, no pantry and little freezer space. I wanted to deliver fresh cookies, so I just put my head down and mixed and baked.

Fudge and candies came first, then cookies. I did between 12-15 trays a year and DH & kiddos delivered them to family & our closest friends in the 2 neighboring towns. I always brought an extra large tray and left it (anonymously) in the faculty lounges at the kids' schools. It pleased me no end to hear that teachers were always on the lookout for my cookie delivery - and I thought I was being stealth!

The trays were a lot of work, but were one of the most gratifying and memorable traditions we shared as a family. Now adults, my kids are really good bakers - I think in short time their talents will easily exceed mine. DS has commented that watching me create such well-recieved gifts from simple ingredients seemed like making magic to him. BTW, he ended up becoming a chemist (as is his bride-to-be) and their spice cabinet is as organized as the lab where they work. He didn't get THAT from me LOL!

I'm so impressed by the number and variety of goodies that people here are making!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'm amazed at the organization and major undertaking you have all made this into to give of yourself to others.

I'm a little sad this year about the cookie baking thing...My oldest dd, who was always the one to want to make a whole list of Christmas goodies, is, thanks to the snow and ice, stuck in the 'big city,' where she attends college. Tomorrow we will hit the ground running without her (although I guess I'm already behind, since I don't have ingredients pre-bagged, pre-mixed, or, even, pre-planned very well!), since we're supposed to have DH's family here for a Christmas get-together on Sunday. 'Supposed to' is the key phrase, though, since we're apparently due of another storm with snow and freezing rain to add to the ice and snow pack already on our roads...

Anyway, I have this great new kitchen with a double oven, so no excuses! I'm looking forward to being up to our eyes in cookies. I think I can manage pizza for dinner in the middle. :-)

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

I hope you have a wonderful time baking tomorrow rhome! Double ovens.. swooonn.. lol.

Boy am I a slacker compared to ya'll. For the New Orleans boxes I made regular chocolate chip, peanut butter with colored sugar [as per tradition] and fudge. The kids only like certain stuff and the fudge is Christys family tradition so she has to send her sister and mother some. I sent them a pecan pie too.

I've also made meltaways, world peace, milk choc choc chip, shortbread, more fudge and caramels for Christys fellow employees. The caramels sure did turn out great this year. I forgot to put in the vanilla. lol. I think I like them better. You can really taste the butter. The execs got pecan pies.

I have dough in the fridge for the rest of the milk choc chips and I took some of that dough and instead of chips I added bunch of old fashioned oats to it for me.

I am weird in that I don't like cookies to sit around very long. I'd rather have them fresh, so I tend to make doughs and just bake off a pan or two at a time. So, as it gets closer to Christmas I'll be still making our ricotta cookies, some rugeleah, sand tarts, and for the Christmas dessert I'll make a pecan pie and chocolate pie. For Christy's stocking I'm making Ann's crisp truffles and some chocolate covered raisins.

So, let me make a list.. hmm..

Standard chocolate chip
    Peanut butter
    World Peace
    Meltaways
    Rugeleah
    Milk chocolate chocolate chip
    Oatmeal
    Shortbread
    Sand tarts
    Ricotta cookies
    Sugar Cookie cutouts [maybe, I like to make the shortbread into cutouts, so that might do for this year]

Fudge
    Caramels
    Crisp truffles
    Chocolate covered raisins [she doesn't like nuts]

Pecan Pie
    Chocolate Pie

Yup, I'm a slacker ;(

15 years ago

Still hoping for a few more recipes: I searched on this thread and elsewhere on the forum, but could not find some of these recipes (unless I'm searching incorrectly?)

craftyrn, could you post these?

lemon poppy-seed balls,
    cranberry lemon shortbread,
    mincemeat flats

and black cocoa espresso balls (is this one a cookie or candy?)

Thanks so much!

• paulines
    15 years ago

linnea56, I think craftyrn covered those recipes about 7 or so posts up, if you missed them :)

15 years ago

Oh, thanks. I was skimming through and didnt see them without titles. Thanks, craftyrn!

• ganggreen980
    15 years ago

Rhome: I actually started the week after Thanksgiving and froze the first couple of batches of cookies. Of course, my kids were less than impressed.

I waited until last weekend to do the shortbread and was going to do some of the "quick and easy" things Tuesday and Wednesday night. However, our Christmas plans went kaplooie with the weather. So, instead of leaving on Friday to head "home" to Vancouver, BC, we ended up spending the weekend doing the finishing up things.

Today I pulled the frozen items out and put together my trays. The problem? Well, um, we can't get out to deliver them to anyone who isn't in our immediate neighborhood. Sigh. So, the kids, husband, and I went around with cookie trays to more neighbors than planned ealier today. It actually was great fun, particularly when the 11-year-old fell face first in the snow but managed to save the cookie tray! lol.

It looks like we're stuck here at least until Wednesday at best. Soup for Christmas?

Anyway, my cookie tray does not compare to many of yours, but it included:

Gingersnaps
    Shortbread
    Oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
    Sugar cookies with Hershey hugs
    Preztels with Rolos and and M&M
    Peppermint bark

Mandie

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Boy, and I thought I was being industrious making little bags of goodies for my clients!

Batches of Emeril Lagasse's spiced mixed nuts...I like them because the spice mix is unusual (cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, brown sugar & salt). These were bagged up along with shortbread cookies. I like to make shortbread for Christmas gifts because if the recipient is already loaded down with treats, they can keep a long time.

I added different things to the batches of shortbread dough. Ground pecans in one batch, sesame seeds in another, and I tried something new this year and added crushed candy canes to a batch. It came out very tasty, but I think I put just a wee bit too much in as the batter "melted" more during cooking, so they weren't as pretty as the others.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living