SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honorbiltkit

Trying things out when your plans go awry

honorbiltkit
13 years ago

A fair number of questions posed on this thread are variations of "oh dear, now what can I do?" And often these questions are answered with a range of ideas that -- while all pretty good -- are all over the map.

My own recent experience indicates strongly that -- short of having a really good visual imagination -- you need to simulate what you are going for in YOUR space and YOUR light, both during the day and with artificial light.

I inherited two elegant cabinets I wanted to flank a window with and not have match the other cabinets. Once the "accent" cabinets were installed, I hung them with every solid color garment in my wardrobe, bits of colored paper, even stone green tile that I stuck on with loops of tape.

All the subtle colors died in the installed lighting and the counters turned out a color that was wrong anyway, and I just had to keep trying until I found something that would work.

This little slideshow doesn't go into all the details of what I did try without success, but it does show how I finally stumbled into what I think will work for a while. I would definitely not recommend my approach to making a kitchen to anyone, except in this one particular: especially when you don't have the option of throwing a great deal more money at a problem, keep experimenting with stuff in situ until you get something that seems like it will work.

[To watch it as a slideshow, forward the images manually, as I cannot slow it down from my Picasa.]

Here is a link that might be useful: The Curious Tale of Kearney Kitchen

Comments (5)