SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthapartha

Menu Foods Complete Product List?

marthapartha
16 years ago

I'm not totally convinced that the pet food contamination is under control. I bought some canned pet food at the end of April, which the store owner gauranteed as safe, and subsequently had been pulled off the shelves for contamination ...shortly after my purchase. I didn't realize that Menu Foods packages and cans just about every brand of pet food except Purina (sans the contaminated Rice Gluten purchashed by Royal Canin).

As a matter of fact, according to About.com we are not even sure what pet food companies get what ingredients from Menu Foods on an intermittant basis. Companies don't have to list where they get the ingedients or who from.

This includes some of the most expensive food on the market. This is food given to pets who are really loved by their owners. Not only is it more expensive, but many of us have to go out of our way to even purchase it.

The fact that my cat is very sick and got sick while eating food that ended up on the list for the last month...all packaged by Menu Foods, even though coincidental and nothing more, I'm mad as hell that its a possibility.

I had heard that 'Pet Food' was contaminated, and I didn't make the connection that they were all related by being Menu Foods until I went to the FDA site and looked up each contaminated brand's FDA page and finding "Menu Foods" listed as the manufacturer of each brand (again sans the Royal Canin Rice Gluten contamination).

I remember reading about Menu Foods pet food...and thought, "I don't buy Menu Foods".

I didn't know they packaged Iams, Eukanuba, and Hills Science and Prescription Diet .... as well as Nutra Max and Evolve...the two brands I fed kitty purchased in April. Menu Foods also are the main canning site for many individual 'home gown' companies.

I have been looking for a complete list of Menu Foods brands and Menu Foods company participators. They are not listing a product list on their site. They are only listing the brands that have been pulled... i.e. the ones that they actually got caught with having melamine in them. Of course the easiest answer is to just stick with Purina...which we had until April of this year.

Our local Pet Food store owner actually protested me buying "Purina" and stopped me on the way to the checkout counter with it...saying it was junky and that no one one knew exactly what was in it. No one knew Melamine was in Eukanuba or Hills Science/ Prescription Diet either. That's how I was persuaded to buy both the Nutra Max and Evolve canned cat food.

I was told that all the bad pet food was removed...yet I was being sold more of it.

Menu Foods did not say...'hey, we used wheat gluten from China in a lot of our products we haven't had time to test...lets, at least, quarantine all of our pet foods that contain wheat gluten from China until they are cleared by testing...so we don't kill any more pets!'

Instead they gambled and lost...and I almost and might have lost my pet. I wonder what else we don't know.

If anyone knows of a complete product list of Menu Foods' companies...not just the recalls...could you post the list?

I would be extremely appreciative.

Even though I've had it up to yar with Wisconsin...what in the world are we buying wheat gluten from China when we have wheat surpluses here? Honest to Pete!!! This administration has a lot to answer for...way beyond the lack of available inspectors...

I have had it with Menu Foods. They knew melamine was in certain pet foods in April and they continued to sell it regardless.

marf

Comments (3)