SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

Is it weird to paint my home office a dusty plum color?

beache
13 years ago

We are finally scraping the popcorn off the ceiling of our small spare room/home office. It is a small north-facing room. All the furniture in there is a very light wood with frosted glass panels and brushed nickel hardware.

I've been searching for a color for the room. I originally pictured a soft terra cotta but nothing I swatch on the wall looks good in there. Anything in a tan, beige or gold looks awful with the furniture. So I was leaning toward an muted aqua. I went to my BM paint guy and he recommended a gray-blue for a light spa feeling. Or he thought a deeper gray would look good. But to me they make the room seem cold (north facing, one window). I happened to stop at a small hardware store that carries Ben Moore products to get some sample pots, and they carried Mystic Paints. I couldn't believe how big the sample cards were! So I grabbed samples of all the colors that looked not too light/not too dark/not too bright for my room and taped them all up on the wall. One of them happened to be a muted medium tone plum called Heather Haze. Every member of my family chose that color as their favorite!

Would a plum colored room look weird if the rest of my 1st floor rooms are mostly earthy greens, golds and whites? The adjacent hall to this room is a mossy green. Will it be too jarring? Any suggestions for a grayed plum that you've liked?

Comments (20)