SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Can I cook a roast in this pot?

Fori
16 years ago

Everyone here is so helpful and nice to clueless chefs. So here's another one for you!

The usual setup: I'm having people over for a few days and want to prep many things ahead of time. This leaves me with a shortage of cookware.

I plan to cook a boneless leg of lamb--it's easy and reliable and the pan I usually use (which isn't a proper pan for that anyway) won't be available.

So, can I use a big cast iron pot or will I end up with stew? The pot has a trivet for the bottom with holes in it and ridges on the inside of the lid to self-baste (I guess). The thing IS called a "Drip Drop Roaster" so I imagine it was intended for roasting meat.

Should I not use the lid? Use the trivet? Buy a disposable roasting pan and skip the pot altogether? I'm attaching a link to a picture of another pot of the same model (for reference only--I don't know anything about this potseller except that they have a picture of a pot like mine). Mine is of course seasoned...

Thanks for any advice. I haven't used this pot for anything besides candy and it seems so sensible to use it when I'm running out of pans, but I do need to make other people eat this!

Comments (8)