SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

How big is this problem?

muscat
15 years ago

I own a 1960's single story ranch house. Lots of huge trees around, so roots could certainly be an issue. We've occasionally had slow drain in the past, but they always cleared up with Draino. Here's the new thing....

It started with the toilet bubbling when we showered. The water level would go up or down a bit, but mostly it was as if air trapped in the pipes was coming up the toilet. The tub was also going down very slowly. Then I started noticing this same bubbling from the toilet, even if no water was running. It happened several times per day. The last time the toilet bubbled, I flushed it to see what would happen, and it filled to the rim and then went down SLOWLY. Trying to decide how universal the problem is, I checked the second bathroom. I have no idea if that toilet has been bubbling, since we dont use it much, but it also filled up and even overflowed before it slowly drained.

I headed out to the hardware store and bought draino (for the tub), and enzymatic solution for the toilets, and an auger. I did not think the auger would help much, but it was cheap. When I got home, the toilets flushed normally! I still put the draino in the tub, and the enzymatic stuff in both the toilets, but it has been 3 days, and no problems.

I feel like the axe WILL fall, though. Can someone tell me what is going on? Do I likely have a blockage in the line beyond where both toilets and the tub join? What is with the bubbling?

Thanks!

Comments (11)