SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephynb

SFG newbie questions: placement, rotation, seedlings

stephynb
15 years ago

Greetings forum.

Although my father was a big french intensive method fanatic back in the day, this is my first time trying to do anything with a garden since I was a kid. We've recently decided to stay at least 5 years in the current house so it finally makes it worth while to do something and I've decide that with our slightly formal backyard with a slight slope, SFG is the way to go.

But I have (quite) a few (possibly stupid) questions...

ADDENDUM: yup, I previewed, and it is a lot of questions. I apologize in advance.

My yard runs E-W but because of the placement of neighboring trees, the ideal location for the garden is along the N fence because the south half is shaded quite a bit.

1. However, the garden area would get 6+ hours of sun a day but not all at once (it would be split AM and PM). I got confused reading another site on what "full sun" and "partial sun" meant which triggered this question. They seemed to suggest that "partial sun" sometimes meant "not continuous sun." Is this "split sun" a problem?

2. I'm laying out 10 4x4 boxes with 2x12s. My yard is sloped sufficiently that in order for the backs of some of the boxes to be 6" above grade, the fronts will be 12" above grade. If the pattern is 2x5 (two rows of 5) running E-W, can you put trellises on the second row of beds if you have 3 feet between beds? I can just squeeze in 6 against the fence with 4 in the 2nd row if I can't in order to maximize trellis area.

3. I've been looking at garden plans others have posted. Mel seems to favor a more haphazard (mixed) planting scheme while most people here seem to prefer all of the carrots together, all of the lettuce together, etc. Is there any particular reason for this? I'm a bit confused by the dictum that, for example, nightshades shouldn't be planted together with the constraint imposed by having even just 10 boxes...it doesn't seem like it can be helped...there are going to be peppers near tomatoes.

4. Additionally, my seed packet says not to plant broccoli in the same spot for 4 years (!). I even read an article that showed that broccoli "remains" in the soil can inhibit broccoli germination and growth in subsequent seasons. How big of a problem is this for SFG when you are continually adding new organic material? This also suggests that broccoli trimmings aren't a good idea for the compost heap. Opinions?

5. I get the idea of planting a bit of lettuce every week so you don't have tons of lettuce one week and none the next week. But crop rotation seems to stymie me a bit. Looking at the planting guidelines in the back of the SFG book, I don't see any particular spring plant (peas, for example) that is done when a summer plant needs to be planted (tomatoes, for example). It looks like one of the only summer crops that you can plant without planning 6-8 weeks in advance is bush beans. How do you manage your seasonal crop rotations? I wish that Mel would be a bit clear when he says, essentially, 3 boxes will feed one person with salads, veggies and preserved veggies. What crops? What rotations?

6. I've read a bit up on when to start what and when to plant what. I have a sodium halide 400 watt lamp I've used for water gardening. I'm currently using it for seedlings. I've sort of broken what I've read into two groups. Almost everything I've read has said that for my area, Mother's Day is the day to plant peppers, tomatoes, etc. OTOH, my last frost date is listed as 4/23. This year, that's a two week difference. For my spring garden, I'm using 4/23. For my summer garden, I'm using 5/9. Does this seem reasonable?

7. With respect to those seedlings. I have 5 broccoli and 3 cauliflower babies. The broccoli seem...spindly. The light is 18" away to cover 4 flats. There is also a seed heating mat. Is the light too far away?

8. The seedlings are started in those peat containers that come in 2x5 with 5 in a flat. I guess each cell is about 2x2". I suspect and hope that things like lettuce and the like will do well in them until transplanted into the garden. But how long before you need to transplant broccoli, tomatoes, etc. into something larger? (Hopefully not before the greenhouse gets built...) Are the 2x2 cells just for sprouting? In terms of transplanting, it seems then that the peat pellet systems are better.

Sorry for all of the questions but there mostly things I was either curious about or just couldn't find a definitive answer.

Cheers,

Steve

Comments (21)

Sponsored