SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_in_seattle

newbie with vacation watering question

megan_in_seattle
16 years ago

I am completely new to gardening and SFG and have a question about what I should do when I go away on vacation. Will my garden be ok for one week without watering it?

I have 4 4x2 raised beds with Mel's Mix in it. I have started broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, chives, marigolds, and tomatoes indoors and am in the process of hardening them off to put out in my SFG. I have already planted fava beans, peas, beets, carrots, parsley, radicchio, endive, buttercrunch, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, rosemary, and arugula, from either transplants and seeds that have already sprouted. Everything seems to be doing well (I think!)

Today (the 3rd) I have planted nasturiums and pole beans, with the hope that they will sprout before I leave for vacation on the 18th.

I have made chicken-wire cages that I have covered with row cover and plastic to put over my garden. It seems to be keeping the soil warm enough, as we have still been getting quite a few frosts and snow, but the seeds are still sprouting. I think our last frost date for my area is the 15th of April. Recently I have had to open the plastic, as it's been getting warm during the days (60's).

What do I do when I'm away on vacation for a week, starting on the 18th? I was thinking about taking off the plastic, but keeping on the cages on so that the rain can water my plants (except for the tomatoes, which I was thinking of keeping the plastic on). Will the seedlings be ok during spring rains? I'm hoping that everything sprouts before I leave. Would it be ok if I had a neighbor water my tomatoes just once, or better yet, not at all? I was toying with the idea of taking a shoelace and putting it in some water to "self-water" the tomatoes. One of my motivations for growing a garden is saving a few bucks, so paying for someone to come over once a day would take away a lot of the savings.

Comments (7)

Sponsored