SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themajorlift

Tap water in rain barrels + newbie questions

themajorlift
13 years ago

My outdoor water access is about to be cutoff (outdoor tap is not on my property.) Quick solution is running a 100 foot hose from kitchen through whole apartment to outside but having that setup 6 months a year isn't great.

So I thought of getting several rain barrels and filling them every month (so only running hose through apt once a month.) I have a small container garden, mostly SWC with veggies and flowers so the amount of water needed would be covered. I don't have acces to rain water via roof/gutters so would need to fill from tap. Are there any issues with storing tap water (what with the chlorine etc) long term?

Additionally, reading forums/internet... I understand I put the containers as high off the ground as possible to help get the water out quickly. What could I do so that I can use a hose with this setup (as opposed to filling a watering can underneath spout.) Water barrels would be on ground level of building and I have plants on 1st floor deck as well and would be great to get a hose up there from the barrel, but it's 12 feet above barrels - would a pump help that? What kind?

Sorry for newbie questions - I've been searching forums/web trying to figure out but am asking "the experts" here for some advice. Thanks!

Comments (2)