SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michtx_gw

Newbie Questions: Waterline tile for dark water

michtx
11 years ago

Hi Everybody!

We're 2-3 wks away from construction start on a gunite pool. I'm in the process of choosing coping & deck stone and waterline tile and would love your input.

We're on a ranch in Central Texas. Home is contemporary white limestone block on the edge of a bluff with the back facing due west - killer sunset views! The pool is geometric, infinity edge with a perimeter overflow spa and long tanning ledges along the east (house side) and north sides.

We want to create a contemporary, seamless and zen-like simplicity of the outdoor space with a dark water pool to maximize reflections. We will be using travertine pavers or Leuderstone (16" by 24" or similar) in a shade slightly darker than the house rock for coping and decking.

As for the waterline tile, my thinking is that you have two choices; first to either blend or compliment the coping, or to consider the tile as part of the water feature and blend it to water color. We will be using Black Pearl Pebble Tec.

My design instinct is to blend tile with coping because it is above the water and will give a more seamless look if blended to the coping color. But I am wondering if this same tile will not look good on the spa's overflow walls against the dark pool water. However I would like to use only one type of tile on waterline and perimeter overflow spa to mix as few materials as possible. I would love some experienced advice on which would create a more seamless and quiet look.

I can only figure out how to attach one photo to this post, so I'm including a photo from Houzz.com of a pool we admire.

Many thanks in advance for any input!

michtx

Comments (8)