SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentiger87

moisture and water... newbie question

greentiger87
13 years ago

I've inherited a large patch of roses in a slightly raised bed (about 4 inches). They're mostly hybrid teas and floribundas.

They're in a fairly rich soil (a compost based mixture meant for growing vegetables). Underneath this is fill dirt from when the house was built and then gumbo clay. A variably thick layer of red-dyed wood mulch (1-2 inches) is on top. None of these layers are very distinct. I "inherited" this flowerbed after significant early spring regrowth had occurred, but I did try to amend the soil with sulfur, as well as attempt to head off fungal diseases with sulfur/copper powder.

My question is this - If the soil underneath the mulch is is clearly moist, and this moisture increases as I go deeper until I hit wet gumbo clay, am I correct to withhold irrigation even in very hot weather(mid 80s to 90s). It will obviously get even hotter as we move into summer.

I ask because small parts of some bushes appear dry or even crinkled... and that makes me want to water them. But I've now realized that's probably counterproductive (I dig a little hole each time to convince myself). We're in the midst of 2-3 month drought, so rain isn't a variable. The last time I watered the roses was at least a week and a half ago. I'm fairly confident this isn't a specific infectious disease or pest.

Also, I see some yellow interveinal chlorosis and slight leaf narrowing on new growth of certain bushes (but not all of them). I thought this might be iron deficiency caused by anoxic conditions in the root zone.

Growth wise, the roses are very large/vigorous, with plenty of blooms. The ones with interveinal chlorosis are less vigorous. There is some sporadic blackspot on the lower parts of every bush, but it is being well controlled by regular removal of infected tissue and the Bayer 3-in-1 Systemic product.

Right now I've treated with an iron chelate foliar spray, gentle aeration with a hand cultivator, and forcing myself to not water them :P

Thanks for reading this long post, and for any advice!

Comments (5)