SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vermiprano

Newbie: Bins? Indoors or out? And vacation?

vermiprano
12 years ago

I have spent the past week reading this forum obsessively. So much information and I thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. It has been so helpful!

I am ready to set up shop, but have actually had a problem finding appropriate bins. We have settled on a DIY FT bin system with three nesting bins. I have been all over this area and the only bins I can find nest all the way down into each other, leaving maybe only an inch of space in between them. I've been to Target, Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. Where else is there to look? If you have set up a bin system, I would really love to know what name brand of bins you got and where you found them.

The next issue we are having a hard time coming to an agreement on is whether to have them outside or in. We don't have an ideal place indoors where I can insure that my very curious 2 year old wouldn't have his way with them. We live in Dallas so the summers are BRUTAL. We have had BSF larvae in a black tumbler in the backyard the past two years and they didn't seem to mind the record heat. Are red wigglers as hardy? (Fyi, our garage is not really an option as far as shelter from the heat, as it positively BAKES in there.) I have found such completely conflicting information across the internet as to whether you can vermicompost outdoors in TX, so any guidance or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

My next question somewhat relates to the last one. We are going on vacation in June for 9 days. It's not USUALLY incredibly hot the first week of June, but this has been an extremely mild winter and a very warm and early spring, so we have no way to know what the first of June is going to be like this year. If it is hot, we would have to bring the kids in while we are gone, since I wouldn't be around to tend to moisture. I worry about starting the worms outside and then bringing them in while we are gone. I fear that we might be bringing in a lot of insects. Would you recommend starting them indoors to limit insects and then moving them outside when we return from vacay...or should I just stop over-thinking it and put the kids outside and rig some sort of system to keep them moist for those few days?

I welcome any and all insights...and even rude comments, if you just wanna say, "Stop obsessing already and just throw some worms in a box and forget about 'em!"

Thanks,

Vermiprano

Comments (8)